DynDNS with DNS-O-Matic Provider

baba
baba Posts: 280  Master Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
edited January 2023 in Nebula
Hi,

is it possible to use the DNS-O-Matic Provider? It is a simple GET Request with BasicAuth. But I didnt get it to work.

https://dnsomatic.com/docs/api

Thanks!

Best baba

All Replies

• baba
    edited January 2023
    Is it possible to see the log files of the request to the DynDNS provider? Other Zyxel devices support DNS-O-Matic natively: https://kb.zyxel.com/KB/searchArticle!gwsViewDetail.action?articleOid=017612&lang=EN
  • Zyxel_James
    Zyxel_James Posts: 606  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hello @baba
    DNS-O-matic is an integrated DDNS service, that includes DynDNS, NO-IP... And Nebula does not support DNS-O-Matic service, I suggest that select DynDNS as the DDNS provider, and input DynDNS credentails and settings.

James
  • baba
    edited February 2023
    Hi @Zyxel_James,

I do not understand your answer. My DynDNS provider is Cloudflare. Nebula natively supports only older providers, which offer no new features. Since Cloudflare has a complex request to change the IP address, I put DNS-O-Matic in between.

When I enter DynDNS as provider in Nebula, I can't enter a URL anymore. The Request of DNS-O-Matic ist the same as DynDNS, but the URL ist different.

Can I see the logs of the DynDNS requests in Nebula? Which settings can be configured at "Additional DDNS Options"?
  • Zyxel_James
    Hello @baba
    Do you mind explain "Cloudflare has a complex request to change the IP address, I put DNS-O-Matic in between"?
    Moreover, you can connect to the device via ssh and input
    Router# show logging entries keyword DDNS
    Then you can check DDNS-related logs.
    Please enable Zyxel support access for further checking.

James
  • baba
    edited February 2023

Hi @Zyxel_James,

Do you mind explain "Cloudflare has a complex request to change the IP address, I put DNS-O-Matic in between"?

Cloudflare needs a PATCH request to change the IP-Adress of the A record. Thats not a simple GET request as most DynDNS providers have. Have look at: https://developers.cloudflare.com/api/operations/dns-records-for-a-zone-patch-dns-record

To change the IP-Adress of the A record in Cloudflare with a simple GET Request i have connected DNS-O-Matic between Nebula and Cloudflare. With DNS-O-Matic I can update the IP-Adress with this simple GET request:

Output of the log:

Router> show logging entries keyword DDNS

No.  Date/Time           Source                                       

Destination

Priority            Category               Note                  

Source Interface    Destination Interface  Protocol              

Source Country                                     Destination Country                                

Source CountryCode  Destination CountryCode 

===============================================================================

8    2023-02-02 22:04:42                                                 

notice              built-in-service       DDNS                                            

Update the profile DDNS has an unknown result.

9    2023-02-02 22:04:42                                                 

notice              built-in-service       DDNS                                            

DDNS profile DDNS was get server response: [RESPONSE]\x0acode = 200\x0adescription = Command completed successfully\x0aqueuetime = 0\x0aruntime = 0.047\x0aE.

The log said that the command completed successfully but the IP-Adress did not change in DNS-O-Matic. When I open https://username:password@updates.dnsomatic.com/nic/update in the browser, the IP address is changed correctly.

Zyxel support access is enabled.

Thank you!

Best, baba

• Zyxel_James
    Hello @baba
    I found out your DDNS URL settings miss a question mark, it should be https://updates.dnsomatic.com/nic/update?

Could you try again and check the logs by command "show logging entries keyword ddns"

• baba
    Hi @Zyxel_James,

the questionmark should not be mandatory:
    In a URL, the question mark (“?”) divides the address of an object and the set of words used in the query.
    Consider the following examples:
    In My DynDNS URL is no query parameter so no ? is needed.

However I've added it and got no new log messages. Can I test the DynDNS request without restarting the internet / router?

Log:
    Router> show logging entries keyword ddns
                             Destination

Best regards

• baba
    @Zyxel_James still no logs after reconnect
  • Zyxel_James

Hello @baba

I can confirm the DNS-O-MATIC service is available, please refer to the screenshots.

Check the DDNS-related logs by input show logging entries keyword ddns

As I tested, If you remove the question mark, the device won't able to find the URL

• baba

Hi @Zyxel_James ,

thank you four your answer. The password is correct. I've tried to replace the email with the username but i get no loggs after saving in Nebula:

Router> show logging entries keyword ddns

Destination

How can I trigger the dyndns request?

Thanks!

Regards, baba

Nebula Tips & Tricks