Managing APs with NXC2500

Options
Hello,

I really need some help with a network I'm building.

I recently managed to get an NXC2500 and decided to use it for a home network.

I planned to use it with a fritzbox 7530, a gs1920-24HP, and 4 NWA3160-N APs.

My original plan was to keep the APs plugged into the switch, as I was using them with POE, but when I plugged the NXC2500 into the switch I couldn't find any of them. I reset one of them and still wasn't getting any results.

After some digging, I fought that maybe I should connect the NXC2500 directly between the Switch and the router. But that didn't work!

What could I be doing wrong? What's happening to my Network? Why can't I see any of the APs through the NXC but if I search for them myself with Advanced IP Scanner I find them fine?

Could you please help me?

Accepted Solution

All Replies

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 989  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @alpha099,

Please confirm the traffic between NXC and NWA3160-N APs is ok.

Moreover, with the old firmware version, the NWA3160-N could not be managed by NXC2500. So, in case, your NWA3160-N AP’s firmware is old, you can follow 2 methods to let NXC2500 manage NWA3160-N.

Method 1: Upgrade to 2.23 patch 8 first, and then upgrade to the 5.10

Method 2: Upgrade to 2.23 patch 8, and then go to NWA3160-N login web GUI, and then go to Configuration > MGNT Mode > Choose Managed AP > Apply > Yes > OK

Here is the link to download the 2.23 patch 8 firmware:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d0xYGMAuLbK-rU4l2mHLN04zdHWb-728/view?usp=sharing

Here is the link to download the 5.10 firmware:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1snMnvCXx0FHuQMz__45jm2sCOhAfcc14/view?usp=sharing

Here is SOP to upgrade the firmware via FTP:

How to upgrade firmware to the controller/Access Point by FTP? — Zyxel Community

For other AP models, in case meet this issue, also recommend referring to below step to check.

Please go to ZON > to check whether your AP’s Controller discovery enabled.

If not yet, please choose APs and click to NCC/ AC to configure. To know how to use ZON, please refer to this link

After configure successfully, you should able to see APs on NXC2500 immediately at Configuration > Wireless > AP Management > Mgmt. AP List

Be a Community MVP: Win a VIP Deal Dash on Your Next Zyxel Purchase!

• Zyxel_Judy
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Ethan69 said:
    As I was utilising them with POE, I had intended to keep the APs hooked into the switch; but, when I put the NXC2500 into the switch, I was unable to locate any of them. Even when I reset one of them, I was still having no luck.

@Ethan69,

Don’t forget to confirm the traffic between NXC and APs is ok.

If you check the traffic and Controller discovery already, however the issue still happens, and your APs are different models, please tell us your AP model to check

• alpha099
    alpha099 Posts: 5
    Friend Collector First Comment
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Hello, I saw that you had the newest firmware for both the NWA3160-N and the NXC2500. Do you still have that because I'm not sure if I have the correct firmware to discover the APs with the Controller. I don't have the option to activate the controller discovery on the APs.

And if i try to activate the discovery in ZON I can't click the NCC Button.
  • Zyxel_Judy
    Options

Hi @alpha099,

Please refer to the post above to get the latest firmware of NWA3160-N.

NXC2500’s firmware could be download at the official site

NWA3160-N doesn’t need to be set on ZON’s Controller discovery feature, so you can skip that.

• alpha099
    alpha099 Posts: 5
    Friend Collector First Comment
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Sorry I didn't understand the Instructions correctly, sorry!

It works now, Thanks!
  • alpha099
    Options
    Thank you so much @Zyxel_Judy! Your solution worked perfectly!