GS1100-16 strange port behaviour

Comments

• Zyxel_Jason
    Zyxel_Jason Posts: 394  Master Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hi @RCTechCon ,

Welcome to Zyxel Community!

According to your description, I would like to check the following with you:
    1. You mentioned you use 20 of 24 ports on the Switch, may I assume your Switch is GS1100-24 or GS1100-24E?
    2. May you provide me the first 5 letters of the serial number? We would like to know the production year.(It should start with "S")
    3. May you share what devices are connected to your Switch? Do you also connect Unifi AC Lite like other users mentioned above? What is the application in your daily use? 
    4. Is there any new device or new application you use in the network recently? The reason I ask this is because you mentioned the Switch has been working well for a year.

Thanks.
    Jason
  • Thor78
    Thor78 Posts: 4
    Friend Collector First Comment

I have a similar problem with the GS1100-16. The port to which an AVM Repeater 1200 (firmware 7.50) is connected seems to hang up every few days. The LEDs are flashing, but the port is dead and won't work again until I've powered down the GS1100. I have already tested several ports and the problem moves with them.

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,589  Zyxel Employee

Hi @Thor78,

Welcome to the Zyxel community!

The LEDs are flashing, but the port is dead and won't work again

This is likely due to a broadcast storm or loop since you mentioned the "LEDs" but not "LED".
    Could you share your topology for better clarification?
    Have you checked if other devices with the cable connection can ping each other when this happens?
    If you cannot ping each other means your network has a broadcast storm or loop. Finding out where the broadcast storm or loop comes from is a good start to solving this problem.

Zyxel Melen

• Zyxel_Melen

Hi @Thor78,

Furthermore, you can also isolate the GS1100 with two PCs to verify whether it will stop working after a few days or not.

If it won't, then this might be due to your network surrounding.

Zyxel Melen

• Thor78

I didn't mean all LEDs. Only the LED of the affected port was meant. Only the one port to which the AVM Repeater 2400 is connected as an AP is affected. The other ports and devices continue to function and are pingable. I will deliver the network topology later.

• Zyxel_Melen

Hi @Thor78,

Thanks for the more detailed information.

Since you mentioned other devices are functioning, I would like to check the following with you:

1. Try to ping the AVM Repeater 2400 when the issue happens.
    2. Replug the Repeater.
    3. Disconnect the AVM Repeater 2400 and connect another device to test that port's functionality.

Thanks.

Zyxel Melen

• Thor78

Topology

• Thor78

I will report when the issue happens next time.

• kumen
    kumen Posts: 3

Hi, I have same issue as OP: GS1100-16 with UniFi AC Lite connected to one port. Steps I did:

• Firstly I have AC Lite connected to port 16 - then this issue of disconnection showed
    • Then connected to port 14, and after while, issue showed again - restart
    • Today this issue on port 14 with AC lite happened again
      • without restarting switch, AC Lite plugged to port 16 - AC Lite connected - ping working
        • LED on port 14 stay light up
      • Reconnection AC Lite to port 14 - connection lost again - no ping
        • LED on port 16 off
      • Reconnection AC Lite to port 16 - connection working - ping working
      • Connected Raspberry Pi 4 to port 14 - no ping - just Ethernet LEDs on Raspi blinks once in 3-8 sec
      • Connection on all other ports working
      • On port 15 is connected another device through POE injector: NanoBeam 5AC and never was problematic like AC Lite

AC Lite is running OpenWRT, but issue persist through multiple versions.

• Zyxel_Melen

Hi @kumen,

Today this issue on port 14 with AC lite happened again

• without restarting switch, AC Lite plugged to port 16 - AC Lite connected - ping workingLED on port 14 stay light up
    • Reconnection AC Lite to port 14 - connection lost again - no pingLED on port 16 off

Reconnection AC Lite to port 16 - connection working - ping working

To better clarify your problem related to hardware, could you help to connect a loop, port 14 connects with other ports, and check if the port LED flashes rapidly? This test requires other devices to be connected to the switch as well. Thanks in advance.

Zyxel Melen