LTE5398-M904 - LTE Module upgrade

Janusz_Nosacz
Janusz_Nosacz Posts: 24  Freshman Member
10 Comments Friend Collector
edited August 2023 in Home Router

Hi, today I received the router mentioned above.

I would like to ask you, where can I find the LTE modem update file in this router?
The current version is EG18EAPAR01A08M4G.

I found out on the internet that there is supposedly a version of EG18EAPARO1A11M4G, but I don't know where to download it and how the update process looks like.

In a review about the device on the Amazon website, I learned that you can achieve higher data transfer speeds after upgrading the modem.

Can I count on your help? :)

Accepted Solution

• Janusz_Nosacz
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓

After much searching, I found a working file to update the LTE modem firmware:
    https://kb.netgear.com/000062959/LBR20-LTE-Upgrade-Downgrade-Package-Retail-Europe-and-Australia

The link above is for the Europe/Australia version.
    I tested the update on my device, I did not test the downgrade.
    We throw the .zip file to the router, the update takes 15-25 minutes.
    Zyxel - shame.

All Replies

• Korg
    Korg Posts: 3
    First Comment

I have found last firmware zip update 08 to 11 and downgrade 11 to 08 here Zyxel Lte5398 Lte Module Update EG18EAPARO1A11M4G | eBay 2

• Janusz_Nosacz
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓

After much searching, I found a working file to update the LTE modem firmware:
    https://kb.netgear.com/000062959/LBR20-LTE-Upgrade-Downgrade-Package-Retail-Europe-and-Australia

The link above is for the Europe/Australia version.
    I tested the update on my device, I did not test the downgrade.
    We throw the .zip file to the router, the update takes 15-25 minutes.
    Zyxel - shame.

• androll
    androll Posts: 12  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector

I don't understand, it's a module update for netgear LBR20… how can it run on LTE5398-M904 without bug?

• Janusz_Nosacz

Because both devices use the same LTE modem model EG18-EA:

https://www.quectel.com/product/lte-a-eg18-series

• androll

I know but isn't there risk to have a customization from netgear?
    I don't know if Zyxel requests a customization in module SW.
    Does It work well? Phone part?

• BruCom
    BruCom Posts: 32  Freshman Member
    edited May 2023

Hello and thank you for the news

Did you notice the expected performance increase after the module upgrade ?

• Janusz_Nosacz

I was looking for information about this module on the forums and found a thread about updating the firmware for this LTE module. Below link:
    https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-4G-LTE-5G/LBR20-probl%C3%A8me-de-connexion-orange-en-4G-LTE/td-p/1990719

I suggested the firmware version that was given there.

@androll I don't have the right phone model to check.

@BruCom
    I had the following problems on the EG18EAPAR01A08M4G version in the Orange network:

• aggregation of bands appeared after several dozen seconds from the moment of downloading a larger file (after resetting the router)
    • after about 2 hours the aggregation did not turn on again
    • after about 5 hours, the Internet speed on 5 GHz Wi-Fi slowed down to 7 Mbps
    • after about 6 hours, the Internet speed on the Ethernet cable and Wi-fi 2.4 GHz slowed down to 13 Mbps
    • sometimes at night there was no internet at all and the router had to be reset (the lack of network started somewhere between 2:00-8:00)

On the EG18EAPARO1A11M4G version, I noticed an improvement:

• band aggregation reacts much more briskly
    • band aggregation reappears after a longer period of time
    • Internet speed is constant on Wi-fi 5GHz, 2.4GHz and LAN - and this is the most important change for me
    • slightly lower ping from 33-37 ms to 25-31 ms
    • this morning I had no internet and had to reset my router - looking for an answer to this problem

I aggregate two LTE bands B1 and B3, the distance from the antenna is 300 meters.
    I do not use external antennas.
    I placed the router by the window and got speeds up to 131 Mbps, but usually it was 120 Mbps.
    Inside the house I was getting speeds up to 100 Mbps, and I usually get 71 Mbps.

Remember that this router has one big disadvantage. On Wi-Fi 2.4 GHz there is a speed limit of 144 Mbps, which in practice gives a maximum speed of 66 Mbps (this was the case with me). If you want to use the router's potential, use a 5 GHz Wi-Fi connection, there is a limit of 1732 Mbps.

I was also using an old network card, which also had limitations, this time due to the bandwith 2.4GHz Wi-fi network.
    I bought Asus PCE-AX1800 and it's ok.

I am using the router firmware version V1.00(ABQV.3)C0.

If you have any questions, please write :)

• BruCom
    BruCom Posts: 32  Freshman Member

Thank you, no more questions for the moment.

• androll

Thank you for report, I refer to VoLTE part using rj11 port.
    Do you not have analog phone to test it?
    I have problem of loosing connection during 3G calling with current A08M4G zyxel SW module.
    I fear that LBR20 software could give problems because netgear product doesn't have rj11 port and analog phone section.

• Janusz_Nosacz

Unfortunately, I do not have an analog phone to connect it to the router and test it.

In my opinion, Zyxel produces hardware and software V1.00(ABQV.3)C0.
    Quectel releases software updates for its LTE-A EG18 modem and updates all its functions.
    Qectel is the publisher of the update file, not NetGear.
    It depends on the manufacturer of the router which functions of the modem will be used by the router, and it depends on the firmware version for the router (not the modem) :)

I extracted both files (upgrade and downgrade) and looked in them for mentions of using phone calls.
    I found in the location "LBR20_A08_to_A11_LTE_upgrade_package(Europe_Australia)\system\etc" file "default.prop" in which there are mentions of VoLTE.

In turn, in the location "LBR20_A08_to_A11_LTE_upgrade_package(Europe_Australia)\system\etc\audio\default" there are audio files for using phone calls (there are more sounds compared to the old version).

I went to all the tabs in the "Voice" category in the router and it didn't throw me any error.

As for the operation of the Internet, I now have network aggregation always. I haven't had any drop in internet speed.
    This is the current result with the aggregation of the B1 and B3 bands.

On Saturday evening, when the network was clogged, I had 66 Mbps when aggregating two bands.
    Yesterday my internet connection dropped for a second, but it went back to normal.

@BruCom, I read your entries about this router and on another forum I found information that the LTE network transmitter changes its IP address from time to time and this router may not be able to handle it, which causes no internet despite the LEDs on the router and showing the connection with the Internet in the router panel. I had just the same.
    I will contact you at the beginning of June to tell you if I still have this problem, because it can appear even every few days.

Consumer Product Help Center