[NEBULA] dual Wan Failover

techlogic
techlogic Posts: 3  Freshman Member
First Anniversary First Comment Ideas master
edited April 2021 in Nebula
If you setup dual Wan connections what is best way to configure for wan failover if you don't want load balancing only failover if primary wan goes down?

Comments

• Zyxel_Irene
    Zyxel_Irene Posts: 118  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    @techlogic

At this stage, the default designed for WAN1 and WAN2 are active, and they will share traffic loading. When you enable both WAN on NSG. Then when WAN1 goes down (cable unplugged), all traffic will be switched to WAN2, and when WAN1 is recovered (cable plugged), all traffics will be shared with both WAN.
    The failover mechanism is that you can configure active or passive mode for WAN1 and WAN2. You enabled both WAN on gateway, and set WAN1 is active and WAN2 is passive, then when WAN1 (primary) goes down (cable unplugged), all traffic will be switched to WAN2 (back up), and when WAN1 is recovered (cable plugged), all traffics will be switched back to WAN1. Is it what you want?

• TCL_Support
    TCL_Support Posts: 8  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary Nebula Gratitude First Comment Ideas master
    Where are the active and passive mode settings found? I can't see them anywhere.
  • Zyxel_Irene
    Hi @TCL_Support

Welcome to Nebula Forum.
    Currently, the mechanism of WAN failover is still under developing. Let's look forward to see it on NSG. :star:
  • Zyxel_Irene
    Hi @TCL_Support

There is a clear description of our mechanism on NSG for you,

At this stage, NSG can only detect physical down, so when you enable both WAN, and then when WAN1 goes down (cable unplugged), all traffic will be switched to WAN2, and when WAN1 is recovered (cable plugged), all traffics will be shared with both WAN.

In the future, the failover mechanism on NSG will be that WAN1 and WAN2 are still run on Active mode, and NSG can detect Internet circuit down (circuit disturbance, ISP breakdown…etc). So when you enable both WAN, and then when WAN1 Internet circuit downs, all traffic will be switched to WAN2, and when WAN1 is recovered, all traffics will be shared with both WAN. 

If you would like to see the mechanism of Active/Passive mode, I would like to help you submit feature request in the idea section.  :)
  • Zyxel_Irene
    edited May 2018
    Hi Someone who need Active/Passive mode,

At this stage, Active/Passive mode is not available on NSG, and if any assist needed, please PM @Nebula_Chris  for this request.
    :)
  • skara
    skara Posts: 1  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary Nebula Gratitude First Comment
    Hi, it's possible to know when Active/Passive mode will be available?
  • Zyxel_Chris
    Zyxel_Chris Posts: 653  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hello!! @skara
    This feature is in our roadmap, however the schedule is still under discussion.
    If any assist needed, please PM me. :)

Chris
  • Link
    Link Posts: 10  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Hi, I have the same problem. I thought it could be solved by using the policy route as mentioned in this post https://businessforum.zyxel.com/discussion/1488/how-to-configure-policy-route-on-nsg
    but all internet traffic is being switched between WAN1 and WAN2 even with the policy route applied.
  • Zyxel_Chris
    Hello @Link
    Could you please reboot your device, it's seems like you have encounter the routing issue that we plan to fix on December, let me know if the issue persist.

/Chris
    Chris
  • Zyxel_Chris
    Hi @Link
    I have learned from my colleague that the root cause is because the mis-configuration, after change the destinaion from "0.0.0.0" to "any" in policy route have resovle your issue.
    Good to know of it! :)

Chris

Nebula Tips & Tricks