USG FLEX 50 (USG20-VPN) Not able to update firmware on standby part

gmann
gmann Posts: 4
First Comment

I've tried for some time now to perform updates on our standby partition (Running is 5.30ABAQ.0 with current standby at 4.64ABAQ.0) and each time running a firmware update from cloud or uploading a local file (latest 5.36 ABAQ.1) it appears to work and shows the pop up window with the counter, but the counter always keeps counting and no reboot (let it go for over an hour with no change). Closing the browser window and reopening doesn't show the device has reboot and no change to the partition info (Cloud icon does go from an n to a . I have reboot and power cycled the device, with no change in update behavior. I do see that the Model for the partitions for standby shows USG20-VPN and running is USG FLEX 50. Does anyone have any recommends on how to correct this? Should I update the running to the latest and then try the standby after?

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Jeff
    Zyxel_Jeff Posts: 1,039  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓

Hi @gmann

Thanks for reporting this case to us.
    If you are near your device, we suggest you can refer below steps to update firmware:
    STEP1. Download and back up the current running startup-config.conf file. from MAINTENANCE > File Manager > Configuration File.
    STEP2. Reboot to the standby partition.
    STEP3. Apply the current running startup-config.conf file.
    STEP4. Update to our latest firmware V5.36P2.
    You could refer to this FAQ article, thanks.

All Replies

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,655  Guru Member

update standby to next firmware till 5.32 then try newest

https://support.zyxel.eu/hc/en-us/articles/360013941859-Security-Products-Firmware-Overview-FLEX-ATP-USG-VPN-ZYWALL-

• Zyxel_Stanley
    Zyxel_Stanley Posts: 1,361  Zyxel Employee

USG20-VPN and USG20W-VPN have been renamed to FLEX50 and FLEX50W respectively.

• gmann
    First Comment

I tried to update the standby to the 5.30 to match the running and 5.32, and neither worked. Now it appears the device is up, but our IPsec tunnels are down, I'm able to access the device on the remote IP, but when I try to login, I get a page not working Err_Empty_response. We have power cycled the device and for a moment the tunnels came up and then dropped, still seeing the same remote web access login behavior.

• Zyxel_Stanley
    Zyxel_Stanley Posts: 1,361  Zyxel Employee

Hi @gmann
    ZLD4.73 5.36 Patch 2 Firmware has been officially released.
    This new version also includes a fix for the identical issue.

• gmann
    First Comment

Thanks, but if I can't update the standby partition, should I proceed to update the running with the latest 5.36 p2? Also if I can't access the device web login, what is the best recommended process to update the firmware while in this state?

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,655  Guru Member

unplug from WAN and reboot to update locally

• gmann
    First Comment

Thanks, I figured that would be the case to gain access. I also needed to reboot from the standby partition and go back to the old firmware before I was able to update any of the partitions to the latest software.

• Zyxel_Jeff
    Zyxel_Jeff Posts: 1,039  Zyxel Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi @gmann

Thanks for reporting this case to us.
    If you are near your device, we suggest you can refer below steps to update firmware:
    STEP1. Download and back up the current running startup-config.conf file. from MAINTENANCE > File Manager > Configuration File.
    STEP2. Reboot to the standby partition.
    STEP3. Apply the current running startup-config.conf file.
    STEP4. Update to our latest firmware V5.36P2.
    You could refer to this FAQ article, thanks.

Security Highlight