[NEBULA] 4-channel deployment channels

HealthByRo
HealthByRo Posts: 28  Freshman Member
First Comment
edited April 2021 in Nebula
Why is the 4-channel 2.4GHz using 1-4-7-11 and not 1-4-8-11 ?
Wouldn't you want to be further away from the most congested WiFi channel 6 ?

All Replies

• Alfonso
    Alfonso Posts: 257  Master Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    edited November 2018
    Hi @HealthByRo

As you probably know in the 2.4 GHz band, 1, 6, and 11 are the only non-overlapping channels.Each channel is 22 MHz wide, but the channel separation is only 5 MHz, which leads to channel overlap that allows signals from neighbouring channels to interfere with each other. 
    I agree 1-4-8-11 could be better. Maybe someone with further information could clarify the matter.
    Enjoy. 

• HealthByRo
    HealthByRo Posts: 28  Freshman Member
    First Comment
    As a workaround, we've manually set our 4 APs to fixed 2.4GHz channels (using a WiFi analyzer app to find the least interference, as best we could, at each AP location before setting the static channels).
  • Zyxel_Dean
    Zyxel_Dean Posts: 237  Zyxel Employee
    @HealthByRo

I do agree with you on this, let me ask around if there's any reasons for this implementation.

Dean
  • Zyxel_Dean
    Hey guys,

I'm not able to find any source of this implementation, however, 
    there will be a feature for users to define the sets of channels DCS can choose from, which will have more flexibility and able to counteract the current specification.  Scheduled next year possibly sometime in the first half of the 2019.

Dean

• Zyxel_Dean
    As an additional info, in reality if 3 channel isn't working for you, 4 channel wouldn't be a much better option. The traffic in overlapped channels are noise for other channels, the true solution if there exists dense, overlapped channels in your network would be using 5Ghz.
    Still, you could try 3/4channel for your network since it might work out in some conditions.

Here is a link for reference about fundamental issues of 2.4Ghz .
    https://superuser.com/questions/443178/is-it-better-to-use-a-crowded-2-4ghz-wi-fi-channel-1-6-11-or-unused-3-4-8

Dean

Nebula Tips & Tricks