Interna; FTP access - home network

JeremyP99
JeremyP99 Posts: 11
Friend Collector First Comment
edited November 2023 in Nebula

We have a small home network, with three PCs connected, one permanently by WiFi using two NWA50AX Wifi Access points. I have an FTP server, accessed externally by users, and used internally as windows home networking is still a mess all these years on. When connected by the one PC downstairs that uses WiFi, when connected to the Ground Floor access point, I can connect to the server. When connected to the Top Floor one, I can't.

Why? And how do I fix this?

Thanks

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Nami
    Zyxel_Nami Posts: 636  Zyxel Employee
    Second Anniversary Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 1 - Switch 50 Answers Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 1 - Security
    edited October 2023 Answer ✓

Hello @JeremyP99

Thanks for providing the information in the private message.

I noticed a TP-link splitter and three PCs named JPSRFC, JP-Win11, and PENNYS-PC in the Wireless Network Watcher screenshot you sent. Is the TP-Link device deployed between the Zyxel Router and Zyxel AP? Please clarify this and the above topology to help us understand your setup better.

Based on the device information in the Wireless Network Watcher, we checked Nebula's event logs and there was only one device found, JPSRFC. Therefore, we assumed that the PC that couldn't connect to the FTP Server was JPSRFC.

The event logs (I sent you the screenshot in the message) showed that JPSRFC was connected to the Top Floor AP at [2023-10-20 17:31:28] and [2023-10-08 13:04:38], these two times were all connected via 'Mells-Guest' SSID. If the above assumption is correct, then this Guest SSID might be the reason.

When enabling the Guest network on the SSID, the Layer 2 isolation and Intra-BSS traffic blocking are automatically enabled. Here is the explanation of Intra-BSS Traffic Blocking and Layer-2 Isolation for your reference.

To fix this, you could add the FTP Server's MAC address to the Layer 2 isolation list via Configure > Access points > SSID advanced settings > choose 'Mells-Guest' at the SSID box > Advanced settings > Layer 2 isolation.

It is recognized that the JPSRFC device is also connected to the Ground Floor AP via 'Mells' and 'Mells_Guest' SSIDs. You mentioned that the PC has trouble connecting to the FTP Server only when it is connected to the Top Floor AP, thus, we want to ask how you know which AP the PC was connected to.

If our assumption about the PC being JPSRFC is incorrect, please provide the correct MAC address of the PC.

Don't miss this great chance to upgrade your Nebula org. for free! https://bit.ly/4g2pS9L

Nami

All Replies

• Zyxel_Nami
    Second Anniversary Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 1 - Switch 50 Answers Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 1 - Security

Hello @JeremyP99

From your description, it seems you're able to access the FTP server via the PC that is connected to the Ground Floor AP, but not the Top Floor AP. How about the ping result between the PC and the FTP Server when the PC is connected to the Top Floor AP?

Besides, please check if the VLAN and subnet are the same between the PC and FTP Server.

Don't miss this great chance to upgrade your Nebula org. for free! https://bit.ly/4g2pS9L

Nami

• How do I check the VLAN and subnet? I know how to do it on a particular PC not on an access point. Is it shown on Nebula? Thanks

• Zyxel_Nami

Hello @JeremyP99

I am referring to the VLAN/subnet of the PC and the FTP server, not the PC and Access Point (AP). When your PC connects to an AP via a specific SSID, it adopts the VLAN specified for that SSID.

You may enable Zyxel Support Access (as below screenshot) which will allow us to assist you better by checking your Org/Site configuration. Please provide us with your Org/Site name via private message.

Also, could you clarify whether your FTP server is connected to WiFi or wired? If it's WiFi, which SSID is the FTP Server connected to? If it's wired, could you share which device/model the FTP server is connected to?

Nami

• No, can't ping the ftp server (which is on a hardwired PC on the network) when connected to the upstairs access point.

• As noted, the server is hardwired direct into the Zyxel router. I have flagged "Invite Zyxel support as administrator" but can't save it as that is greyed out. And I can't see where to make a DM on the support page.

• Zyxel_Nami

Hello @JeremyP99

Let me double-confirm your topology as the below illustration, and please let me know if I misunderstood.

There are 2 APs in your network installed on the ground floor and the top floor. You have 3 PCs and one of them is configured as FTP Server. Let's call them as below:

• PC 1_FTP Server
    • PC 2
    • PC 3

As noted, the server is hardwired direct into the Zyxel router. 

⇒ The PC 1 acts as the FTP Server and is wired directly to the Zyxel Router, please provide us with the Zyxel router's model name.

No, can't ping the ftp server (which is on a hardwired PC on the network) when connected to the upstairs access point.

Do you mean that PC 2 or PC 3 which is connected to the Top Floor AP couldn't ping PC 1_FTP Server?

And how about the ping result between PC 2 and PC 3 when they are all connected to the Top Floor AP?

I have just sent you the message, please check the inbox icon at the top right of this page.

Nami

• Zyxel_Nami
    edited October 2023 Answer ✓

Hello @JeremyP99

Thanks for providing the information in the private message.

I noticed a TP-link splitter and three PCs named JPSRFC, JP-Win11, and PENNYS-PC in the Wireless Network Watcher screenshot you sent. Is the TP-Link device deployed between the Zyxel Router and Zyxel AP? Please clarify this and the above topology to help us understand your setup better.

Based on the device information in the Wireless Network Watcher, we checked Nebula's event logs and there was only one device found, JPSRFC. Therefore, we assumed that the PC that couldn't connect to the FTP Server was JPSRFC.

The event logs (I sent you the screenshot in the message) showed that JPSRFC was connected to the Top Floor AP at [2023-10-20 17:31:28] and [2023-10-08 13:04:38], these two times were all connected via 'Mells-Guest' SSID. If the above assumption is correct, then this Guest SSID might be the reason.

When enabling the Guest network on the SSID, the Layer 2 isolation and Intra-BSS traffic blocking are automatically enabled. Here is the explanation of Intra-BSS Traffic Blocking and Layer-2 Isolation for your reference.

To fix this, you could add the FTP Server's MAC address to the Layer 2 isolation list via Configure > Access points > SSID advanced settings > choose 'Mells-Guest' at the SSID box > Advanced settings > Layer 2 isolation.

It is recognized that the JPSRFC device is also connected to the Ground Floor AP via 'Mells' and 'Mells_Guest' SSIDs. You mentioned that the PC has trouble connecting to the FTP Server only when it is connected to the Top Floor AP, thus, we want to ask how you know which AP the PC was connected to.

If our assumption about the PC being JPSRFC is incorrect, please provide the correct MAC address of the PC.

Nami

• Naomi,

Thanks, will read that, digest it and get back to you.

Jeremy

• OK! Sort to take so long - I don't have a Smartphone (won't, actually, to be precise!) and my PC is upstairs, so it is often hours between looking at the internet.

Top Floor AP (Mells_Guest) is wired into the TP-Link splitter. I added the MAC address of the JPSRFC pc downstairs to Nebula, (and the router, as it told me to), but SAVE is greyed out - so I can't save it 😢

I usually get JPSRFC to use AP Mells (downstairs, in the same room) but since the speeds which we were originally getting - c150mbps TOP and GROUND floor have now deteriorated so much I sometimes swap JPSRFC to AP TOP FLOOR. Which then stops my FPT server connecting.

Hope that helps. We'd love the speeds we used to get to come back. I'm retired and watch lots of streamed sport - Rugby World Cup which as just finished, Cricket World Cup, still on, and lots of football. The buffering has got bad. I don't understand why one day we get >100mbps and others 30 or so when the AP is ten feet away across the room. I'd REALLY like this fixing as well as the FTP Server access

Thanks

• Zyxel_Nami

Hello @JeremyP99

I'm here to assist with both issues you're facing:

First issue: FTP Server Access

Top Floor AP (Mells_Guest) is wired into the TP-Link splitter. I added the MAC address of the JPSRFC pc downstairs to Nebula, (and the router, as it told me to), but SAVE is greyed out - so I can't save it 😢

⇒ As you confirmed in our private message, the PC that has IP: 192.168.1.187 is the FTP Server, therefore you should add the MAC address of the FTP Server which means JP-Win11, not JPSRFC. Delete any empty entry to activate the 'SAVE' button.

Second issue: Speed Concern

To dig deeper into the issue, I want to define the behavior of the SSID and AP firstly: The SSIDs (Mells and Mells_Guest) are broadcasted by both APs, not specific APs. When your end device chooses an SSID (for example: Mells) to connect, it can connect to the Top Floor AP or Ground Floor AP. To decide which AP to connect, it depends on which one is closer and has a better signal.

I sometimes swap JPSRFC to AP TOP FLOOR. Which then stops my FPT server connecting.

⇒ When you switch to AP TOP FLOOR, do you notice a speed improvement?

Nami

Nebula Tips & Tricks