Interna; FTP access - home network

2»

All Replies

• Right, done that, will check if that fixes it shortly. I have found that rebooting an Access point restores speeds to c150Mbps, and they then gradually deteriorate. I don't want to have to keep rebooting them.Why is this happening?

• Server working fine now whether connected to Mells (Ground Floor) or Mells_Guest (Top floor). If I switch downstairs from Mells to Mells Guest, yes, it is because it if faster at the time

• Zyxel_Nami
    Zyxel_Nami Posts: 636  Zyxel Employee
    Second Anniversary Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 1 - Switch 50 Answers Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 1 - Security
    edited October 2023

Hello @JeremyP99

I'm pleased to hear that you can now access the FTP Server whether connected to Mells or Mells_Guest WiFi names. Has there been an improvement in speed as well?

Note:

Based on the Nebula event log from 24 hours ago (below screenshot), your device (named JPSRFC) has only connected to the Ground Floor AP, which broadcasts both WiFi names (Mells and Mells_Guest), not Top Floor AP.

Don't miss this great chance to upgrade your Nebula org. for free! https://bit.ly/4g2pS9L

Nami

• Thanks for sorting out the network stuff - all good now; still wondering why the speed degrades after booting, from c150Mbps down to the 30s

Thanks

• Still wondering why the drop in speeds since the original installation. Then always c 150Mbpcs occasionally 300 (our full fibre goes to 350), now rarely over mid 30s, and buffering very annoying. Would be great of you could fix that. Don't understand how it can be so varied as in both cases, the AP is nearer the connected devices

• Zyxel_Nami
    Second Anniversary Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 1 - Switch 50 Answers Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 1 - Security
    edited November 2023

Hello @JeremyP99

Please share how you tested the speed and provide the speed test result here.

After looking at the event logs for your site, it's clear that devices like the Galaxy A13 and JPSRFC usually connect over the 2.4GHz frequency. This band is more susceptible to interference than the 5GHz band, which can impact network performance. To enhance connectivity, consider creating two separate SSIDs for each frequency band. Here's a suggested setup:

• SSID Name: Mells_2.4GHz, configured to use only the 2.4GHz band. Devices connecting to this SSID will only use the 2.4GHz frequency.
    • SSID Name: Mells_5GHz, set to utilize only the 5GHz band. Devices selecting this SSID will connect over the 5GHz frequency.

You can configure this by going to Configure > Access Points > Advanced settings > Band mode, select the relevant band

Besides, please go to Configure > Access points > Radio settings > at DCS setting, disable Avoid 5G DFS channel to prevent channel interference.

Lastly, check the configuration of your Switch and Router for any enabled Multicast Storm Control settings. This feature is designed to limit multicast traffic that can congest the network, so it's essential to ensure it's configured correctly to avoid unnecessary load on your wireless clients.

Don't miss this great chance to upgrade your Nebula org. for free! https://bit.ly/4g2pS9L

Nami

• Zyxel_Nami

Hello @JeremyP99

I hope you're doing well. I wanted to check in with you regarding the network speed issue you were experiencing.

If you haven’t noticed any speed improvements, could we try the following test? This will help us determine whether the issue is with the WiFi connection or another part of your network.

1. Connect your PC directly to the Router via an Ethernet cable. Run a speed test on your PC and share it with us the result.
    2. For a WiFi speed test, please follow these steps:
      1. Set up a new SSID on your network.
      2. Ensure that this is the only SSID active during the test (temporarily disable other SSIDs, including any broadcasted by the router).
      3. Connect your end device (PC, laptop, phone) to this new SSID.
      4. Perform a speed test on this device and share the results with us.

I also share here the guidelines on speed tests for your reference.

Additionally, it would be helpful to monitor and note the duration it takes for the speed to decrease after rebooting the device.

Nami

Nebula Tips & Tricks