USG FLEX 50W Running 5.37 PPPoE Configuration

Options
DeanH
DeanH Posts: 45  Freshman Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments

Hello Everyone,

On my USG FLEX 50W running 5.37 firmware, my ISP changed me from Ethernet connection to PPPoE connection all of a sudden. That is a long story that I won't go into detail on here. Needless to say I gave them an earful about how unhappy I was losing three days of Internet access because I was not informed of a change being made to my connection.

So, while working with them to get my configuration updated, I could only get the PPPoE active when I also had the Ethernet WAN interface enabled. This seems a bit redundant to me since they are both WAN connection types.

In my original static IP configuration, I had the Ethernet interface (CONFIGURATION > Network > Interface > Ethernet > wan) configured to use a fixed IP address, which was the static IP they assigned to me.

In the new configuration, I ended up having to set the Ethernet interface to "Get Automatically" and also configure the PPPoE interface (CONFIGURATION > Network > Interface > PPP > System Default > wan_ppp) to "Get Automatically" in order for the connection to work. So, rather than the static IP being held by the ZyXEL, they are passing it through to me.

When I initially disabled the Ethernet wan interface thinking they did not both need to be active, the PPPoE connection went down.

I would think the PPPoE interface alone should allow the connection to work without the Ethernet interface being active since they are both "wan" interfaces. Where am I missing the boat on this?

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_James
    Zyxel_James Posts: 624  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Ethernet wan is the base interface of wan_ppp, so ethernet wan must be enabled.
    This concept also works with VLAN interface, the base interface LAN should be enabled when using VLAN.

All Replies

• Zyxel_James
    Zyxel_James Posts: 624  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Ethernet wan is the base interface of wan_ppp, so ethernet wan must be enabled.
    This concept also works with VLAN interface, the base interface LAN should be enabled when using VLAN.

• DeanH
    DeanH Posts: 45  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments
    Options

Thank you Zyxel_James.

So, the ppp_wan is a sub-interface to Ethernet wan.

I get it now, the tabs on the Interface page are in order of hierarchy from left to right. I missed that layout concept previously.

Security Highlight