SYS led flashing

Options
studio
studio Posts: 7
Friend Collector First Comment

Good morning, a few days ago there was a blackout and since then the SYS led is flashing in my USG100, while the Ethernet ports leds are all off.
When I connect to the console with PuTTY only this message appears, repeated endlessly:
FLASH: AMD 16M

You can help me?

Best Answers

• Zyxel_Jeff
    Zyxel_Jeff Posts: 1,086  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @studio

Regarding the console message "FLASH: AMD 16M," there are two possible reasons why this log message might appear:

(1). The power adaptor's voltage may not be stable. Please check if the power adaptor is functioning normally. Perhaps, you can use another appropriate adaptor to verify it.

(2). If the firewall has a hardware issue, it may also show this message. If so, we recommend considering an upgrade to Zyxel's new firewall product.

Thanks.

• studio
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thank you very much for the suggestion nr.1.

I have replaced the power supply, and the device works well.

However, I’m taking the opportunity to upgrade, and I’ve already purchased a new Zyxel firewall that will arrive soon.

Thanks again

• Zyxel_Jeff
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hello @studio

OK, no problem. Many thanks for your update and feedback. Thank you for purchasing the Zyxel firewall product. If you have any questions in the future, please let us know😊.

All Replies

• smb_corp_user
    smb_corp_user Posts: 161  Master Member
    Options

You might have to reload the firmware via Xmodem, or perform a firmware recovery. Check the previous community post threads about this type of issue:

• studio
    Options

USG 100 has been end-of-life for years and the firmware is no longer available for download on the myZYXEL website.
    where can I find it?

• smb_corp_user
    Options

Please follow the link above, I think it should still be valid.

Otherwise, a Zyxel Team member needs to offer a solution.

• studio
    Options

Thank you, I found the firmware for USG 100.

The problem is that when I connect to the console with putty (RS232 cable) I can't do anything! There is always the same message, repeated endlessly:

Do you have any suggestions?

• smb_corp_user
    Options

Unless there is any way to send some kind of <BREAK> command to the terminal (to see if it is possible to get a prompt of some kind), it appears you might have a situation where the device is rendered unusable. Have you tried pressing any buttons (check the manual if there are any recommended reset methods) to see if the device reacts at all, perhaps taking longer time between each message?

Try resetting the device by using a pin or paperclip tip and follow the reset procedure described in the manual.

• smb_corp_user
    Options

I just noticed more details in your first post, particularly the one about power failure. There is a slight chance your device has crashed completely. Difficult to say for sure before you have tested reset procedures and pressing buttons. Check the USG100 manual for troubleshooting error messages.

• studio
    Options

From the console I try to press random buttons but nothing happens.
    Are there any key combinations that launch particular commands in the console? (sorry for asking, but the console is a tool that I don't know how to use).
    Furthermore, I did the reset procedure indicated in the user manual (reset button with paper clip) but nothing happens, the message is always the repetitive one:

• smb_corp_user
    Options

Sorry for not knowing the solution to your problem. Also, since your product has reached its End-of-Life status several years ago, it is difficult to know if anyone else knows a solution to this issue.

Unless we can have any advisory comments from a Zyxel Team member or another Pro user, I fear we might be dealing with a bricked device here. I just don't have the exact experience to know.

• Zyxel_Jeff
    Options

Hello @studio

Please refer to this link to download the Zywall USG 100's firmware(3.30P7-WK48 ). Besides, would resetting the device or performing firmware recovery be helpful to you? Thanks.

Security Highlight