VMG devices bridge mode not accessible via it's management IP

k1s
k1s Posts: 71  Ally Member
First Answer First Comment Friend Collector Second Anniversary
edited February 21 in Home Router

In this support article:

https://support.zyxel.eu/hc/en-us/articles/360001482220-Setting-the-VMG-as-Modem-Bridge-Mode

...it says after setting the VMG as Modem Bridge Mode

"The VMG can still be accessed via it's management IP."

But it doesn't seem to work.

For example, if I want to use it VMG3925-B10 in Bridge Mode, and the primary router already has 192.168.1.1 as it's IP address, then Ineed to change the default IP address for VMG3925-B10 from 192.168.1.1 to something else.

I changed mine to 192.168.1.253, turned off DHCP, and firewall, turned on bridge mode, and connected from LAN1 to the WAN port on my primary router.

Now I cannot reach it's configuration management / GUI pages from any device on the primary LAN.

Pinging 192.168.1.253 results in "Destination host unreachable".

The only way I can get to it is connecting directly via it's Wifi (which I want to turn off, so it doesn't interfere with the main WiFi APs in the network).

What settings in the VMG3925-B10 do I need to configure to be able to be able to reach it through the primary LAN router?

All Replies

• k1s

@Serhii Boiarynov, you are apparently the author of the article, can you please help

• k1s

Can anybody confirm they can reach their device on the management IP through another router?

• tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 941  Guru Member
    50 Answers 500 Comments Friend Collector Third Anniversary

Hello @k1s

If you connect a standalone computer to LAN1 with a crossover cable and give the computer the IP address of 192.168.1.1 and subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 can you then ping 192.168.1.253 ?

Kind regards,

Tony

• k1s

Yes. the VMG3925-B10 can be pinged with a regular ethernet cable (I don't have a cross over), from any of the VMG3925-B10 LAN ports if the Pc connected directly to it has an IP address in the same range 192.168.1.x.

But when the VMG3925-B10 is connected from any of its LAN ports to the primary router, then no, it can't be pinged from across the LAN

• tonygibbs16

Thanks for your reply @k1s .

This suggests that it is a routing issue.

If you do a tracert command then seeing where it stops might help you know where to fix the routing issue?

- It might be that the primary router needs a static route adding to it, so that it can find the VMG3925-B10 via a specific Ethernet port on the primary router.

- The primary router might not be able to find it otherwise.

Kind regards,

Tony

PS: If you want to say what make and model the primary router is, then I might be able to find you the command syntax for adding a static route.

• k1s

Thanks for the reply Tony.

The primary router is. Synology Rt6600ax

• Peter2
    Peter2 Posts: 117  Ally Member
    5 Answers First Comment Friend Collector Community MVP

You can create a new interface group with an other Lan port and create a new home net with another ip adress . Then you can reach it with an external device on this newly defined Lan Port . When you install a second Lan cable to your Router you access it permanently .

-I dont know why you dont readressed your Router to 192.168.1.2 and let the modem default adress .

• k1s

Thanks for your reply Peter. I have 60+devices connecting to the router, so makes more sense to leave that default and change the modem.

I don't follow the 'create a new home net ' suggestion. Is there a tutorial somewhere or would you mind describing the steps?

• tonygibbs16
    edited May 21

You are welcome @k1s

https://kb.synology.com/en-uk/SRM/help/SRM/NetworkCenter/lan_static_route?version=1_3 explains how to add a static route.

I think that you will need to enter which interface the VMG3925-B10 is connected to.

Hopefully it helps. Please let me know what you think.

Kind regards Tony

• Peter2
    Peter2 Posts: 117  Ally Member
    5 Answers First Comment Friend Collector Community MVP
    edited May 21

You could start with making a new interface group if this function is available on the device . Interface group modem including only Lan1 and the WAN . Then define the adress in the section home net .

Here is an example :

Consumer Product Help Center