Support SNMP feature on XGS1210-12/XGS1250-12

Zyxel_Kay
Zyxel_Kay Posts: 950  Zyxel Employee
Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Nebula Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - WLAN Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Switch Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Security
edited July 2 in Switch Ideas

User @Roeleveld has suggested implementing SNMP support for the XGS1250-12/XGS1210-12 switch. This request stems from the necessity of utilizing 5Gbit and 2.5Gbit connections in his specific scenario. Considering the requirements of his deployment, the XGS1250-12 appears to be the most suitable option for his placement.

This topic was raised in the following discussion:

If anyone likes this idea, please feel free to leave a comment or click vote. The votes and comments will be part of our evaluation process.

Kay

Engage in the Community, become an MVP, and win exclusive prizes! https://bit.ly/Community_MVP

11 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• gordonre
    gordonre Posts: 18  Freshman Member
    First Comment Friend Collector First Anniversary

Hello Zyxel,

Yes, please do consider adding SNMP to the XGS1250 and XMG1915 range of products. My home network is quite complex for a home and I would expect many more very savvy users of the XGS1250-12 product line (and others) with their own complext setup.

I could simply replace my four devices (3x XGS1250-12 and 1x XMG1915-10EP) with 4x XS1930-12HP. However, at a cost of over €4K just for SNMP, it's not feasable.

The challenge for me is to keep up to date with what is where and also create a decent topology diagram is becomming quite a challenge. The house configuration is a challenge to get to all devices as I have in total 8 or more switches scattered around.

I will be expanding with either a XMG1915 or XGS1250 adding more IoT and other devices to those endpoints. So, to keep updated and changing configurations, topology, SNMP will go a long way to help here.

Please make this a high-priority consideration. I may end up replacing my XGS1250's with XMG1915 products over time but need more ability to manage rather than a simple web interface.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Gordon

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Nebula Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - WLAN Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Switch Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Security
    edited June 24

Hi @gordonre

The XMG1915 does support the SNMP feature. Here are the FAQ articles to guide you on configuring the SNMP feature in both Nebula Cloud mode and Standalone mode:

Regarding the XGS1250-12, the implementation of SNMP is currently under evaluation. To better understand your needs, could you please let us know which SNMP software you are using?

Kay

Engage in the Community, become an MVP, and win exclusive prizes! https://bit.ly/Community_MVP

• gordonre
    gordonre Posts: 18  Freshman Member
    First Comment Friend Collector First Anniversary
    edited June 27

Hi @Zyxel_Kay,

Thank you for your answer. This is very good news in regard to SNMP on the XMG1915. I've now enabled this and will run a topology mapper again.

Having SNMP on XGS1250-12 would be tremendous upgrade and help to us using these products. Our (I know mine is) home networks are becoming increasingly complex

The program I'm using is from lansweeper which I believe can run SNMP v1, 2 and 3. This is a new tool to me so there us much to learn and also much of it is free to use. There are paid options but above what I need.

[Edit: I also use lantopolog which uses SNMP v2c for the current scan but can use v1 and v3]

Do you have a topology mapping tool which you can offer us clients? If you could suggst a topology mapper to consider, that would also be great!

Regards,

Gordon

• Zyxel_Kay

Hi @gordonre

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

As SNMP functionality is typically utilized by prosumers and in commercial environments, we have introduced this feature starting from our 1915 series switches. The XGS1250-12 is designed primarily for basic home use and small office setups, which is why it currently does not support SNMP.

We understand the importance of this feature and will take your feedback into consideration during our evaluation process. However, please note that the priority for implementing SNMP on the XGS1250-12 is currently low.

If SNMP is crucial for your setup, you are nice to have the 1915 series or other smart managed switches as an alternative for your home setup. You can find them here: https://www.zyxel.com/global/en/products/switch

Regarding topology mapping tools, we currently offer a Nebula Topology tool (💎 Nebula Plus/Pro Pack license needed) on our Nebula Control Center. The logic behind the mapping relies on the LLDP feature. However, since the XGS1250-12 does not support LLDP, and Nebula cloud mode, the tool won't display complete information.

Thank you for your understanding and continued support.

Kay

• simcc
    simcc Posts: 1
    First Comment

Just came to add a +1 for the XGS1250-12. SNMP.

The main thing I would like is what's on the home page….basically Link Status and CRC errors…so I can get a notification when there's issues.

I'd like to integrate to Home Assistant primarily…there's a few other HA users are interested…or maybe you could release a Home Assistant Integration for all your upper-end managed consumer switches. I think that would add to those products, a lot of people are getting into smart homes these days…UniFi have an integration for example…

It's a great value switch for 10G…