One of Four AP's not accepting connections on secondary SSID

George993
George993 Posts: 17  Freshman Member
Community MVP 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

I have a created a secondary SSID and it works on three of my four ap's. On the fourth one, I can only connect to the first SSID. For fun, I created a third SSID and I'm having the same issue. I can connect to the other three but not the problem one. Is there a way to factory reset an AP? I've tried holding a pin in the reset button and resetting it that way, but when it came back up, it still had the same issue.

George

All Replies

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 867  Zyxel Employee
    Second Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Answers Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Security

Hi @George993

Thank you for reaching out. Let's work together to resolve this issue with your fourth AP. Please provide the following details to help us diagnose the problem:

1. Which AP is experiencing this issue? Kindly share the AP's hostname or device MAC address.
    2. What are the names of your secondary and third SSIDs?
    3. Are all clients unable to connect to the secondary SSID broadcasted by the problematic AP, or is it just specific devices? If it's specific devices, please provide their NIC information.
    4. When attempting to connect to the secondary SSID, what symptoms do you observe? For example, does the client connect to the SSID but fail to obtain an IP address, or do you encounter a different issue?

Additionally, please enable Zyxel Support and provide us with your organization and site name.

Kay

Don't miss this great chance to upgrade your Nebula org. for free! https://bit.ly/4g2pS9L

• George993

It's the Zyxel Office AP that's experiencing the issue. My organization is George993 and my site is Home.

Mango and Gary are the problem, Frank works fine.

I have several items connecting: Alexa, Macbook Pro, Dell Latitude laptop, a Canon MF printer, iPhone 14Pro, SurfacePro, etc. I can connect to that SSID if I go by another AP or if I turn the problem AP off.

Clients can connect but they get a 169.x address. Both SSID's ip addresses start with a 10.x.

Please let me know if you need more info. I do have Zyxel Support enabled.

Thanks,
    George

• George993

The only difference between the problem AP and the good ones is that the problem AP is connected to a Zyxel MG-108 switch. Does that switch support VLAN's?

Thanks,

George

• George993

I solved this. There was a Trendnet switch between the AP and the MG-108. The MG-108 actually supports passing through the VLAN tag (apparently the Trendnet does not). I connected the AP directly to the MG-108 and all the SSID are working on all the AP's. This work much better than expected.

George

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 867  Zyxel Employee
    Second Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Answers Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Security

Hi @George993

It's great to hear that you've resolved your issue!

Yes, the MG-108 is designed as an unmanaged switch, so its role is simply to forward traffic without any action on the packets. If you have a managed switch between your AP and gateway, be sure to configure the VLAN settings correctly to ensure the traffic can pass through properly.

Kay

Don't miss this great chance to upgrade your Nebula org. for free! https://bit.ly/4g2pS9L