Can 2 routers form a mesh network?

odino4ka
odino4ka Posts: 4  Freshman Member
First Comment Friend Collector

Hi all,

I have 2 Zyxel routers that support easymesh. But I have difficulties to make them work together as a single mesh network.

Router1: DX3301-T0. This is a primary router that is connected to provider and has DHCP on.

Router2: VMG8825-T50

I'd like to connect them using lan cable.
I can see in a GUI that both of them have easymesh settings but those settings are limited to only a single on/off switch.

I've tried already everything I could find on the internet, so, there must be some misunderstanding of the core concepts.

Questions I have at the moment:
1. Should I disable DHCP on a router2?

2. Both routers are configured to use 192.168.1.1. Should I set a static IP for router 2 to something like 192.168.1.2 or should I make sure router1 gives 192.168.1.2 based on router2's mac address?

3. What should I do with wi-fi settings on a router2? should I just put the same network name/password as configured on first one?

4. I'm trying to use mpro mesh ios app that detects my router1, but it doesn't suggests me any options under mesh devices.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

All Replies

• Liba
    Liba Posts: 179  Master Member
    First Comment First Answer Second Anniversary

I am guessing the two units can't mesh them together. Because you can't find any options on the APP.

• odino4ka
    edited September 5

does it mean they are not meshable? or am I doing something wrong?

• tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 941  Guru Member
    50 Answers 500 Comments Friend Collector Third Anniversary
    edited September 5

Hi @odino4ka

As far as I know, easymesh is for creating a wireless mesh of Zyxel devices, see https://www.zyxel.com/service-provider/emea/en/products/wifi-system

If you want to connect these 2 devices together with a LAN cable, then I suggest that you use an Ethernet cable between the blue coloured WAN port on the VMG8825-T50 and a LAN port on the DX3301-T0 and leave DHCP turned on.

This should allow the VM8825-T50 to get an IP address from the DX3301-T0 with IPoE encapsulation on its Ethernet WAN (on the VMG8825-T50) and network together. See below extract from the VMG8825-T50 user guide.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes leave DHCP enabled on your DX3301-T0. You can also leave it enabled on your VMG8825-T50 and then you will have 2 different private IP ranges on your LANs.
    2. If you connect the WAN port of the VMG8825-T50 to a LAN port of DX3301-T0 then DHCP should give the VMG8825-T50 a unique private IP address for its WAN automatically. You should then set the LAN IP on your VMG8825-T50 to a unique IP such as 192.168.123.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 to make it different to your DX3301-T0.
    3. You might want to give the WiFi of each router a unique SSID so that you know which one you are connected to.
    4. I cannot hep you with this 4th question.

Kind regards,

Tony

• odino4ka

Thanks for reply

> You might want to give the WiFi of each router a unique SSID so that you know which one you are connected to.

But, this is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I don't want to have 2 different SSID and then to reconnect manually every time I move to another room.

I thought easymesh is made exactly for this.

Question is: is it possible to create easymesh setup using 2 given devices or not?

• tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 941  Guru Member
    50 Answers 500 Comments Friend Collector Third Anniversary

Hello @odino4ka

No, I don't think that VMG8825-T50 does EasyMesh as it is not listed on the website I posted the link of, yet the DX3301 is.

You probably need to buy a Zyxel access point that does EasyMesh if you want to avoid what you say you want to avoid.

Kind regards Tony

• odino4ka

Hm, it is weird but I actually can see an EasyMesh switch in the GUI for VMG🤯

Thanks for your help anyway, I'll try to find some WX3100 for my needs.

Consumer Product Help Center