Disabling Nebula on USG LITE 60AX? Alternatives with offline configuration?

Decado
Decado Posts: 7  Freshman Member
First Comment

Hi!

I bought a USG LITE 60AX and was not happy to learn that apparently there's no way to configure it locally apart from very basic settings. Furthermore, NCC configuration can take multiple minutes for a change to manifest (and I don't know when, meaning I wait for a random amount of time and retry things). But worst of all, the device sends all my confidential network usage data to the internet once connected to NCC.

Before I return it and look for something else: If I disconnect the device from Nebula, will it retain all its configuration? That would mitigate at least one of the problems, though changing configuration would be an even bigger annoyance since I'd always first have to connect it to NCC again…

Which Zyxel router/firewall models can be fully configured offline? Ideally with WiFi and 2.5GbE, similar to the 60AX?

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 995  Zyxel Employee
    Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Nebula Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - WLAN Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Switch Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Security
    Answer ✓

Hi @Decado

You're correct that the USG LITE 60AX is designed primarily for management via Nebula Control Center (NCC), as it’s intended to be a cloud-managed security router. While changes made in NCC usually take 1-2 minutes to apply, the delay you mentioned could vary based on network conditions. Typically, it should update relatively quickly.

As for your concern about disconnecting from Nebula: yes, the device will retain its configuration when disconnected from NCC. However, please note that you’ll only have access to basic settings in the local GUI, which is mainly for troubleshooting purposes. Most configuration options are available through Nebula, and removing the device from NCC will reset its configuration.

If you're looking for a model that supports full offline configuration, we currently don’t have a router that mirrors the USG LITE 60AX in both 2.5GbE and WiFi capabilities. However, you could consider the USG FLEX H series (USG FLEX 200H or higher), which supports 2.5GbE and can be fully managed locally. It does not come with built-in WiFi, so you would need to pair it with an access point for wireless functionality.

Kay

Engage in the Community, become an MVP, and win exclusive prizes! https://bit.ly/Community_MVP

All Replies

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 995  Zyxel Employee
    Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Nebula Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - WLAN Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Switch Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Security
    Answer ✓

Hi @Decado

You're correct that the USG LITE 60AX is designed primarily for management via Nebula Control Center (NCC), as it’s intended to be a cloud-managed security router. While changes made in NCC usually take 1-2 minutes to apply, the delay you mentioned could vary based on network conditions. Typically, it should update relatively quickly.

As for your concern about disconnecting from Nebula: yes, the device will retain its configuration when disconnected from NCC. However, please note that you’ll only have access to basic settings in the local GUI, which is mainly for troubleshooting purposes. Most configuration options are available through Nebula, and removing the device from NCC will reset its configuration.

If you're looking for a model that supports full offline configuration, we currently don’t have a router that mirrors the USG LITE 60AX in both 2.5GbE and WiFi capabilities. However, you could consider the USG FLEX H series (USG FLEX 200H or higher), which supports 2.5GbE and can be fully managed locally. It does not come with built-in WiFi, so you would need to pair it with an access point for wireless functionality.

Kay

Engage in the Community, become an MVP, and win exclusive prizes! https://bit.ly/Community_MVP

• Decado
    Decado Posts: 7  Freshman Member
    First Comment

Thanks Kay, much appreciated!

Security Highlight