[NEBULA] PPPoE Bandwidth Limited on NSG?

techvana
techvana Posts: 5
First Comment
edited April 2021 in Nebula
I am encountering an issue with an NSG200 on a gigabit CenturyLink PPPoE fiber circuit.  It seems that the NSG200 is limiting speeds to approximately 450Mbps.  This is likely due to the PPPoE processing that is required, but routers from other manufacturers don't have this limitation when hardware offloading is enabled.  Can Zyxel confirm this issue, and if so, do they have any plans to fix it?

All Replies

• Zyxel_Jason
    Zyxel_Jason Posts: 394  Master Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hi @techvana,

Welcome to Zyxel community!

Since the NSS services (Include Application Patrol, IDP, Content filtering and Anti-virus) will affect the throughput when they are enabled, may you try to disable them and test the throughput again?

Hope it helps.
    Jason
  • techvana
    First Comment
    Thanks for the response.  NSS is completely disabled.  Can you reproduce it on your side?  Should I open a support ticket?
  • Zyxel_Jason
    Hi @techvana,

May you share more information of how you test the throughput? You test with TCP or UDP traffic?
    What tool did you use to do the test?
    Also, since the NSG's MTU size is 1500 by default, may you help to check if the "CenturyLink PPPoE fiber circuit" you mentioned has special MTU size?

Thanks.
    Jason
  • techvana
    First Comment
    I'm testing using CenturyLink's speediest as well as others.  I get 900+ Mbps up and down when use their Zyxel C3000Z modem.  As soon as I use it in transparent bridging mode (to tag VLAN 201), performance drops to about 450 Mbps.  It is consistent and reproducible.  Is there a way to configure the MTU on the NSG?
  • TomorrowOcean
    TomorrowOcean Posts: 59  Ally Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    I test my NSG200 with the CenturyLink's Speedtest, the result is different when I use the speedtest.net.
    I got normal throughput when I used speedtest.net but had lower speed using CenturyLink's Speedtest.
    Maybe it is because I am far from the CenturyLink's server Las Vegas.
  • Zyxel_Jason
    Hi @techvana,

May you share your topology of how you test the throughput?
    Is it "Internet --- Zyxel C3000Z --- NSG200 --- PC(Run the CenturyLink's speedtest)"?
    Do you able to test the throughput with bypassing the C3000Z?
    Jason
  • techvana
    First Comment
    TomorrowOcean said:
    I test my NSG200 with the CenturyLink's Speedtest, the result is different when I use the speedtest.net.
    I got normal throughput when I used speedtest.net but had lower speed using CenturyLink's Speedtest.
    Maybe it is because I am far from the CenturyLink's server Las Vegas.
    What speeds are you getting on your speed test?  Are you able to achieve around 900 Mbps when running PPPoE on the Zyxel?

When I'm running my tests, I'm running the ONT (Internet) --- Zyxel C3000Z (Transparent bridging mode for VLAN 201 tagging) --- NSG200 --- Ethernet to PC.  I'm seeing a very clear limit on both upload and download around 450 Mbps.  If I remove the NSG200, I'm able to achieve over 900 Mbps.
  • Zyxel_Jason
    edited May 2019
    Hi @techvana,

We have tested NSG200 in our local office(1G download speed) with speedtest.net.
    The followings are the results:
    1) NSG200 is using NCC default configuration
    => Download speed is 600+Mbps.
    2) NSG200 is using NCC default configuration + disabling NSS feature
    => Download speed is 800+Mbps.

BTW, I also PM you to get more detail information.
    Please help to check your Forum Inbox.

Thanks.

Jason
  • techvana
    First Comment
    Hi.  I realize that is the download speed without PPPoE.  Have you tested it on a PPPoE WAN connection?
  • Zyxel_Jason
    Hi @techvana,

We have tested with the topology like yours.
    Internet --- Zyxel C3000Z(Transparent bridging mode) --- NSG200(PPPoE WAN) --- PC
    We get the download speed around 800+Mbps with disabling NSS feature on NCC.

I will PM you later for remote PC and organization administrator privilege to check your configuration.
    Please help to check your Forum Inbox.

Thanks. 
    Jason

Nebula Tips & Tricks