How to Configure 802.1x EAP-TLS to Secure the Wireless Environment with Third-party CA Certificate?

Zyxel_KathyLin
Zyxel_KathyLin Posts: 58  Zyxel Employee
Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
edited June 2022 in Authentication

This example shows how to use Android/iOS phone import the third-party certificate to get the wireless connection with 802.1x EAP-TLS protected. We need a certificate which is purchasing by the third-party CA.

Configure Certificate

1     Generate certificate request on the NXC. Go to CONFIGURATION > Object > Certificate > My certificates, and add a request certificate. In Subject Information, Set the NXC’s IP in the Host IP Address.

In Enrollment Options, select Create a certification request and save it locally for later manual enrollment.

2     Double click the certificate and scroll down the page to copy the Base-64 code, then provide it to the third-party certificate company.

3     After receiving the certificate, import the NXC identity certificate into “My Certificates”, and the REQ certificate will be changed to CERT automatically. Go to CONFIGURATION > Object > Certificate > My Certificates > Import.

4     Import the root CA and Intermediate CA’s certificate (if exits) into “Trusted Certificate”. Go to CONFIGURATION > Object > Certificate > Trusted Certificates > Import.

5     Import the station identity certificate, root CA and Intermediate CA’s certificate (if exits) into the Android/iOS phone. (The station could download the certificates from email, dropbox or a cloud storage space).

Andriod: In step “e”, the Credential use must select Wi-Fi.

a

b

c

d

e

f

g

iOS: The way is same as import self-signed certificate.

a

b

c

d

e

f

g

h

i

Configure AP profile

1     Go to CONFIGURATION > Object > AP Profile > SSID> Security List, and add a Security profile.

2     Go to CONFIGURATION > Object > AP Profile > SSID> SSID List, and add an SSID profile.

3     Go to CONFIGURATION > Wireless > AP Management > AP Group, and add this SSID into the default group.

Configure Auth. Server

1     Change the certificate to NXC identity certificate from third-party CA. Go to CONFIGURATION > System > Auth. Server > Auth. Server, and the Authentication Server Certificate select NXC.cer.

Comments

• Zyxel_KathyLin
    Zyxel_KathyLin Posts: 58  Zyxel Employee
    Friend Collector First Answer First Comment

Test the Result

1     Use Android/iOS phone and connect to the SSID Zyxel-EAPTLS.

Android: In step “c”, please select root CA’s certificate in “CA CERTIFICATE” Column and select station identity certificate in “USER CERTIFICATE”

a

b

c

d

e

iOS: In stepe”, please select the station personal certificate from CA.

a

b

c

d

e

f

g

i

2     Check the station information On NXC station info. Go to Configuration > Wireless > Station info.

What Could Go Wrong?

1     User must import the certificate correctly on each device.

NXC: Root/Intermediate CA’s certificate > Trust Certificate; NXC’s certificate > My Certificate;

Station: Root/Intermediate CA’s Certificate > Trusted CA list; Stations’ personal certificate > Personal Certificate.

2     When pressing disconnecting on the Android phone, we might need to import the certificates again.

3     Different Android firmware versions may have different certificate importing behavior. Please ensure the certificates are imported successfully.