After wake on Lan my NAS542 always degrades my 4 disc raid 5 System only 3 Disks are recognized

Options
It is reproducable.
I have a NAS542 with Frimware V5.21(ABAG.6)C0. I enabled wake on lan and after i have sent a magic packet the NAS starts. So far so well. But the NAS is spinning up only 3 of the 4 disks inside. As subsequence my Raid 5 system which spans over all 4 disks is always degraded afterwards. It is mostly disk 3 or 4 which is not recognized. In the Disk Management only 3 disks appear. I have to startup again with the power knob. Then it recognizes all 4 disks and i can start a repair. The reoair needs several hours.

When will it be possible to use Wake on Lan Feature also for 4 disks?

My Hint: Maybe that is a timing problem of the startup script for wake on Lan. it should waid enough time to spin up all 4 disks before proceding.

All Replies

• SchwertAs
    Options
    Further Tests have shown, that always the disk3 is not spinning up. The same Problem occurs, when the NAS is started with the Energy managment.
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,605  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    So your NAS reproducible doesn't spin up disk 3 when waked up using WOL or clock, but it reproducible spins up when when started using the power button?
    Or does it only spin up on a reboot?

In the first case I am baffled, AFAIK there is no difference between these methods on 'disk level'.
    In the second case I expect your power supply can't provide enough juice to spin up all disks together. There is some spread in spinup, to reduce the peak current, but the spread is on time base. So if you have 'slow disks', the peaks can still overlap.
    If it position 3 or disk 3 which is the problem?
  • SchwertAs
    Options
    To make it more clear. It is the disk in Bay 3 i mentioned. As i have watched the disks are spinning up with a timely distance of about 5 seconds - not together. So your guess with insufficient power might be not true. Also i am using the original power adapter of the nas, which should have adequate power. Maybe the firmware was first designed for a two bay nas and starts the additional disks with a wrong offset.

I now figured out that power on with the power switch works correctly

The drive in bay 3 also does a spin up when hot plugged.
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,605  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    SchwertAs said:

I now figured out that power on with the power switch works correctly
    As announced: I am baffled. Maybe the kernel log can shine some light on it? Dump a kernel log from both a power switch and a WOL boot, and compare them.
    You can get a kernel log by logging in over ssh, and executing 'dmesg'. That gives a lot of data, so maybe redirect it to a file:

cd /i-data/sysvol/admin
    dmesg >logfile.txt

You can find the logfile in your admin share.

Also i am using the original power adapter of the nas, which should have adequate power.
    A power supply can wear. Mostly the condensors. So it is possible that an older supply can no longer deliver the needed juice.

• SchwertAs
    Options
    The unit is a fresh buy. So the power supply is new. I now have also encountered a failure with manual power up. So i assume it is a hardware defect in bay 3. I have sent back the device.

Consumer Product Help Center