I cannot forward port 80? ARMOR G5 router question!

I have a web server and run it on one server.
Now I've bought the Zyxel ARMOR G5 AX6000 NBG7815 router brand new but I can't forward port 80?
Are you serious?

A member of staff told me that it wouldn't work.
I've had a lot of routers and up until now I could do it with anyone.
Why should port 80 be used?

I hope that someone here can help me. Otherwise I have to send the router back.
Thanks!

Accepted Solution

• cuterex
    cuterex Posts: 7
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
    Answer ✓

Sell this garbage and buy something real. I did it the same way. It will not work zyxel is too incompetent to make this happen. I can recommend you to have a look at the Qnap QHora-301W. I use this one and am very satisfied.

Zyxel wants the customer to buy a very expensive firewall for this feature, which is absolutely outrageous.

All Replies

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,655  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited July 2021

They did this on the USG when you have one WAN IP and will not let you port forward 80 because the web interface uses that port unless you change the interface port or use port group to get around it and it seems they done it to there home routers too are you able to change the interface/remote port?

Does DMZ forward the port if it has DMZ?

Just another over sight by zyxel or they want people to buy their USG routers.

If it happens to have a config backup in plan text you could edit it for port 80 and upload it.
  • cuterex
    "are you able to change the interface/remote port?"
    I can put the router on its own port, which I have already done.
    However, that doesn't help either.

Does DMZ forward the port if it has DMZ?
    I don't think he has a DMZ.

Just another over sight by zyxel or they want people to buy their USG routers.
    I think that's absolutely cheeky.
    You pay 330 for that thing and you can't forward the port. Any other mid-range router can do that.

If it happens to have a config backup in plan text you could edit it for port 80 and upload it.
    I did not find any such function. I'm getting really annoyed. I think I'll send that thing back right away.
  • Zyxel_Can
    Zyxel_Can Posts: 342  Zyxel Employee
    Friend Collector First Answer First Comment

Hi @cuterex,

Armor G5 can’t make port forwarding from the system reserved ports.

However, you can make port forwarding from another port to internal port 80.

Example:

Port forwarding from Armor G5's 8888 to internal port 80.

Hi @PeterUK,

Thanks for your feedback, it could be considerable to leverage to USG series rather than Armor G5. 

We will put this idea in idea section for our future development evaluation.

• cuterex
    @Zyxel_Can My God, the support didn't understand it either.
    A browser listens to port 80 and not 8888 etc.
    So I also need port 80 from outside. Is that so hard to understand?
    Sorry, but every 10 € router can do that.
    But Zyxel is all about the money and you want to pull people over the table or how does it look?
    That's how I see it.
  • PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,655  Guru Member
    edited July 2021
    Zyxel_Can said:

Look I'm sorry but this is just plain wrong you can and in many other home routers including maybe your old routers!  forward port 80. So whats the real reason Zyxel?
  • cuterex
    PeterUK said:
    Zyxel_Can said:

Look I'm sorry but this is just plain wrong you can and in many other home routers including maybe your old routers!  forward port 80. So whats the real reason Zyxel?

They want to earn more money is clear. Just cheeky for this price. Any other router can do that. It's an absolute joke. I have now bought a new one from another company. There is no reason why port 80 should be used! 
  • Zyxel_Can
    Zyxel_Can Posts: 342  Zyxel Employee
    Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    Hi @cuterex and @PeterUK,

We will have further evaluation regarding to this requirement.
  • Eric_C
    Eric_C Posts: 6
    G1 has this issue too.

Having the ability to make the web interface accessible from the WAN side of the router is a terrible idea.  That is just asking to be hacked.  Just eliminate that and 80 would no longer need to be "reserved for system use".
  • ikubuf
    ikubuf Posts: 134  Ally Member
    If you would like to block the access from wan site, there is an feature under System> remote access> Access interface, select LAN and the router can only access with LAN interface.
    And yes, I think it need to be eliminated the 80 port.
  • @cuterex @PeterUK was this issue resolved? I'm dealing with the same issue right now.

Consumer Product Help Center