How do I migrate data from RAID 1 NSA 325v2 to a new NSA 326?

I have a NSA 325v2 with 2 1TB HDDs in a RAID 1 setup (old and almost full). I plan to buy an NSA 326 with 2 2TB HDDs and setup a RAID 1 and move all my data from the old NAS there.

What is the best method to do so?

I hope there is a way to put in 1 old + 1 new drive into the new NAS copy the data within the NAS, then switch the old HDD for the other new one and make the NAS copy again and work with the 2 new drives as RAID 1.

In the worst case I can setup the new NAS with the new drives, attach both shares to my WIndows PC and copy between folders, but I don't want to think about how much slower that would be...

Accepted Solution

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,598  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    AsdQwe said:
    I hope there is a way to put in 1 old + 1 new drive into the new NAS copy the data within the NAS, then switch the old HDD for the other new one and make the NAS copy again and work with the 2 new drives as RAID 1.
    It can be done that way, but you shouldn't be afraid for the commandline (via ssh). The procedure is, create a raid1 array on the two new disks. Then pull one, the array is now degraded.
    Then insert an old disk, login over ssh, assemble the old array degraded & mount it, copy everything over, and finally reinsert the new disk. The array will resync, and your job is done.
    If you want to buy a new NAS you might want to consider another brand. The 326 is pretty old by now, and so is the firmware.

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Answer ✓
    AsdQwe said:
    It can be done that way, but you shouldn't be afraid for the commandline (via ssh). The procedure is, create a raid1 array on the two new disks. Then pull one, the array is now degraded.
    Then insert an old disk, login over ssh, assemble the old array degraded & mount it, copy everything over, and finally reinsert the new disk. The array will resync, and your job is done.
    If you want to buy a new NAS you might want to consider another brand. The 326 is pretty old by now, and so is the firmware.
  • Sapphire23
    Sapphire23 Posts: 34  Freshman Member
    Friend Collector
    If you want to upgrade your current NAS I recommend you using NAS542. it supports RAID6 and powerful compare to olders.
  • AsdQwe
    AsdQwe Posts: 3
    I couldn't do this. My linux knowledge might be too limited but I cannot identify the old disk I should mount. A lot of commands I found online do not work because they are not installed or get a "permission denied" error.
    Unless someone writes down all the commands I have to use I am forced to setup the old NAS again and copy through WIndows share folders.
  • Mijzelf
    Assuming you have ssh access, and plugged in the old disk.
    AsdQwe said:
    do not work because they are not installed or get a "permission denied" error.
    You have to login as root (admin password) to have all permissions.
    run
    cat /proc/partitions
    to find out the device name of the disk. That will be sda or sdb. The new disk has 3 partitions, the old one 2. Size is given in kB.
    Assuming the old disk is sdb, assemble the raid array:
    mdadm --assemble /dev/md2 /dev/sdb2 --run
    and mount it
    mkdir -p /mnt/mountpoint
    mount /dev/md2 /mnt/mountpoint
    look at contents:
    ls -l /mnt/mountpoint/
    Copy shares over:
    cp -a /mnt/mountpoint/<sharename> /e-data/sysvol/

• AsdQwe
    AsdQwe Posts: 3
    I made 2 stupid mistakes, that's why nothing worked for me as expected.
    One was that I logged in as admin not as root.
    The other was that my old disks are not 1TB but 2 TB, a fact that somehow I forgot when buying the new disks and also did not notice when I took apart the old NAS... That's why I could not recognize them in the console, because I was looking for a 1TB size disk in the partition list. (Also the new NAS automatically put the old disk into the RAID, and said the RAID is broken, needs to be repaired)

This is the most embarrassing mistake I did in IT, now I am really glad I didn't register here with my real name. Thank you for your patience.

Consumer Product Help Center