Photo files renamed when back-up'd - NAS326

Options
Biggles
Biggles Posts: 7
Friend Collector
edited December 2021 in Personal Cloud Storage
With reference to my newly bought NAS326 with 2 x Seagate IronWolf 4TB.

ALL photos (approx. 1200000) was renamed when doing a full backup a Ethernet based network!!!

- Photo "210313_3895.dng" had been renamed "210313_3895 (2021_12_01 20_15_00 UTC).DNG"

- Photo "IMGP0593.JPG" had been renamed "IMGP0593 (2021_12_01 20_15_00 UTC).JPG".

Why did this happen and how to avoid it?

I am new to the "NAS concept" and have a default installation with disabled Twonky Media app. Backup trough "Windows 10 File backup" to a own generated folder (did not use default folders).

Regards Biggles

Accepted Solution

• Biggles
    Friend Collector
    Answer ✓
    Options
    This is what I did to solve my issue, if anyone else would run into it.

It was the "Windows File History" that added the time stamps BUT I could not find a solution anywhere how to avoid it.

So in the end I deleted all files and made a new back-up using FreeFileSync (suggested by @Mijzelf, thank you) and it solved it!

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,607  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Are you sure that's not a feature of your backup software?
  • Biggles
    Options
    Dear Mijzelf,

Thank you for the feed-back, much appreciated.

As mentioned above I use Windows to Back-up using File History (under Windows Security).  What I can see their is no settings  except for "Saved copies of files" and "Keep saved versions".

If it is the File history that are changing the file names, I would expect all other files names also to be changed, but they are not. 

If it is the "File History" that are the problem, I need to change the backup method.

Any suggestions of a backup program where I can see the files/folders in Windows Explorer (= not compressed like  Easeus Todo Backup)? 
  • Biggles
    Options
    Dear Mijzelf,

You where right, it is the Windows File History that adds a time stamp to all images!

I found this article ...

... and a solution to delete the time stamps. However not a solution how to avoid to not have the time stamps added from the start :-(.

I will try another backup program for the NAS326 (suggestions?), since I use Lightroom and Photoshop, and they are not able to find the images with the time stamps added.
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,607  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Personally I use rsync, but that is not so applicable for Windows users. But I know of people who are very content with FreeFileSync.
  • Biggles
    Options
    Miljzelf, thank you for the feedback, much appreciated and I will try FreeFileSync.

I wish you a Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year.
  • Biggles
    Friend Collector
    Answer ✓
    Options
    This is what I did to solve my issue, if anyone else would run into it.

It was the "Windows File History" that added the time stamps BUT I could not find a solution anywhere how to avoid it.

So in the end I deleted all files and made a new back-up using FreeFileSync (suggested by @Mijzelf, thank you) and it solved it!

Consumer Product Help Center