NAS326 not accessible from vpn client

Hello,
our NAS326 is up and running in our house and can be accessed via web browser.
We have configured a VPN server using our router and we can access all other devices from our local network (192.168.1.0/24 ) however when we try to access our NAS326 ( 192.168.1.3 ) from a VPN client  ( 192.168.8.3 )  the connection does not work. 
My personal guess is that NAS326 ignores traffic coming from any other subnet than it's own.

Please help!

All Replies

• dsl400
    dsl400 Posts: 2
    rebooted the NAS326 and now it works 
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,598  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    dsl400 said:
    My personal guess is that NAS326 ignores traffic coming from any other subnet than it's own.
    Your problem is already solved, but I would like to comment anyway. If a device sends properly addressed traffic from another subnet, that is not ignored. Problem is that the receiving device doesn't know where to send the answer to, as it only knows it's own subnet. So the answer is send to its default gateway, in most cases the router. If the default gateway doesn't know how to reach that address the response is dropped.
    This is not only true for the NAS326, but for all 'simple'  network devices (devices having no advanced static routes configured.)
    Running a VPN server to connect to the whole network is challenging if the server is not on the router.

Consumer Product Help Center