NAS542 Bricked - boot loop

jarok
jarok Posts: 5
edited February 21 in Personal Cloud Storage
Hi, I was tempted to upload a new image from debian from http://seafile.servator.de/nas/zyxel/images/ after uploading to the SD card debian-nas-bullseye-21.214-armhf.img.gz the system started correctly. In the next step I did a kernel upgrade to linux-image-3.2.102-1-nas5xx-armhf.zip and unfortunately it did not work properly. As recommended before rebooting,
I ran the rollback routine sudo / firmware / sbin / info_setenv next_bootfrom 1 Errors have occurred and the NAS has restarted.
He has fallen into a noose since then and I cannot save him. I tried:
- universal_usb_key_func-2015-10-12
- NAS540_521AATB3C0_Upgradekey
- I connected the serial port but the kosola only shows "bushes" and the NAS restarts.

I am asking you for help and suggestions.

jarok

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 1,984  Guru Member
    - I connected the serial port but the kosola only shows "bushes" and the NAS restarts.

Wrong baudrate/parity (should be 115200 n 8 1), bad contact, or wrong adapter. (should be 3.3V TTL)

• jarok
    Hi Mijzelf,

I thought so too because it looks like transmission errors but I checked the adapter on the ferguson fbox atv and it reads correctly.
    The same cable worked a long time ago on NAS325. I have the port set to 115200 n 8 1 (parity-none flow control-none), tested for windows and linux machine and the same effect.
    I have two cables: RS232 <--> COM port and USB <--> COM (PL2303)
    I have only TX RX and GND connected (without VCC 3.3v).

I thought to upload a new uboot using kwboot, but I don't have files for this NAS542.

jarok

• jarok
    Hurray,

However, I changed the USB / TTL from PL2303 to CP2102 and it's beautiful.
    The logs show that it cannot load:

Hit any key to stop autoboot: 0
    booting kernel of type uimage from /dev/nand0.kernel2.bb
        Verifying Checksum ... Bad Data CRC
     Failed.
    booting kernel of type uimage from /dev/nand0.kernel1.bb
    ERROR: out of memory

I am also worried about: Board: Mindspeed C2000
    and a very old barebox 2011.06.0-svn44305-dirty6 (Aug 28 2014 - 22:25:22)

I attach files.
    Now I'm thinking What next?

• jarok
    Hi,
    I was able to start debian by booting the kernel from the console with the parameter -n "bootm -n /dev/nand0.kernel1.bb"
    Unfortunately, I don't want to start automatically, and every time I boot, I have to break loop from the console and type bootm -n.

I am still looking for a solution on how to turn both kernels into nand valid.

jarok
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 1,984  Guru Member
    Hm. Somehow my previous post got lost. Anyway, I think that when you change 'next_bootfrom=2' in 'next_bootfrom=1', it will default to kernel1.

• jarok
    Hi,

Before reading your post I turned it into an env:
    # boot partition
    next_bootfrom = "2"
    curr_bootfrom = "1"
    and everything worked fine.

Then I did a trick and made a kernel update from the previously working system on the SD card. Thanks to this, I now have two working kernels in NAND. (nand0.kernel1 and nand0.kernel2). Currently I have curr_bootfrom = "2".

Little note: "Most even professional devices have duplicate boot systems. In our case, there are two kernels and rootfs in different memory areas. This is a security measure, if the modification did not work, you can roll back, as long as you don't panic and do it correctly. "

Maybe someone will find it useful to know:
    In NAS540-542, after connecting the console via RS232 / TTL and turning on the power, we will see the bootloader start.
    We can stop it "Hit any key to stop autoboot: 3 sec"
    And see or edit env config with edit /env/config    (we exit with CTRL + D)

Thank you Mijzelf for Your support.

Jarok

Consumer Product Help Center