Fix slow speed with NAS326

Options
michaeljc70
michaeljc70 Posts: 11  Freshman Member
First Anniversary
Through troubleshooting and the process of elimination,  I've determined that my NAS326 is the bottleneck for slow file copies from my laptop.  I am only getting 2-3MBps.  It is slightly faster with smaller files.  

I've tried different drives, wired network, rebooting, etc. 

The only possible solution I've found online has to do with changing the async.  My NAS does not have the file where you do this. I am running in JBOD.  

Any ideas what I can try? I'm not expecting lightning speeds, but 2MBps is painfully slow.

All Replies

• ikubuf
    ikubuf Posts: 134  Ally Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Do you check the speed when the laptop directly connects to your NAS?
    You can set up static IP on the NAS and directly connect to the NAS with your laptop, then set a static IP on your laptop in the same subnet as your NAS, what is the transfer file speed when directly connected?
    If the transfer file speed work normally. it might not be a bottleneck on the NAS.
    Are you using FTP or SMB to transfer files?
    You can also check when transferring the files, is there any other service running in the background?

• michaeljc70
    First Anniversary
    Options
    ikubuf said:
    You can set up static IP on the NAS and directly connect to the NAS with your laptop, then set a static IP on your laptop in the same subnet as your NAS, what is the transfer file speed when directly connected?
    If the transfer file speed work normally. it might not be a bottleneck on the NAS.
    You can also check when transferring the files, is there any other service running in the background?

Do I need a patch cable for to try that?
  • michaeljc70
    First Anniversary
    edited May 2022
    Options
    ikubuf said:

When I connect right to the router I get around 90 MB/s.  I tried connecting my laptop into my switch and I get a little less than that but close.  So I guess I have a wireless network issue.  

But not really. When I do a speed test on either of my laptops, I get a little higher than the internet speed I am paying for which is 56 Mbps.  So, that is 7 MBps...much higher than I am getting on file copies. 

• ikubuf
    ikubuf Posts: 134  Ally Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    If you connect to the router, you can get a little less than 90MB/, then I think the issue might not be on NAS. If the issue is on NAS, you will get similar result when you test with cable connected. 

Consumer Product Help Center