Zyxel nebula dashboard says switches are offline

Lorcan
Lorcan Posts: 13
First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
Hi, I believe the information on the zyxel nebula website is incorrect.

We have all 4 switches online, by this I mean they are working as switches within our internal LAN. PCs, phones, printers, etc. are all connected to the 4 switches we have. And the devices are assigned IPs by an ISP modem connected to the switch.

What is strange is that the Nebula dashboard says the switches are offline.

Does anyone know why that is?

All Replies

• Zyxel_Adam
    Zyxel_Adam Posts: 332  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hi Lorcan, 

Thanks for sharing this information.

May we know if NCC Dashboard of your site still shows offline for all switches?
    If so, please provide us your Organization name and enable Zyxel support at Help > Support request page (enable it and click SAVE button) so that we will be able to access your organization then check the issue.

Adam
  • SLMark1
    SLMark1 Posts: 19  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments
    We see this all the time when the primary DNS is not responding in a network. A good example is if there is a DC in the network and it is offline. The nebula hardware does not seem smart enough to move to the second DNS option under the DHCP configuration. We are leaning towards starting to statically assign all the network hardware because of this. Something we stopped doing years ago. It is a major issue if you ask me. We get false down alerts all the time.
  • Zyxel_Adam
    Zyxel_Adam Posts: 332  Zyxel Employee
    edited July 2022
    Hi @SLMark1,

Thanks for sharing this information.

Our switch has the same behavior in either DHCP or Static IP configuration, so once switch is unable to get a reply from first DNS server, it sends packet to both DNS address you configured and see which DNS server respond to switch first.

• May we know how do you determine that your primary DNS is not responding to your network?
    • May we know if you use local DNS address as switch first DNS?
    Adam
  • SLMark1
    edited September 2022
    Sorry for the late response. Switches do not move to DNS2 when DNS1 is down. Every client we have with local DNS has this issue. This is true even if the device is rebooted and or defaulted. If defaulted a switch will check in to Nebula for just a second, but then switch to an offline status with Nebula, however, the switch itself is working and the connected devices are online.
  • Lorcan
    edited October 2022
    Hi I am having this problem again. Does anyone have a solution for this?

I can't modify the config on the switches because they are "offline" despite working properly and giving switching to our network? So the switches are connected to devices and are supplying the devices power and internet connection - yet the switches themselves cannot connect to the internet?
  • Lorcan
    Another bit of info that might help, we also have 2 Zyxel APs. Both of them are connected to the Zyxel Nebula cloud. Its just the switches that are seen as offline. 
  • SLMark1
    I also have a switch doing this right now.
  • Drjo_1
    Drjo_1 Posts: 7
    Friend Collector First Comment

Hi, I am having Same Problem.

Is there any solution?
    what to do ?

Warm regards, jo

• Zyxel_Melen
    Zyxel_Melen Posts: 1,592  Zyxel Employee

Hi @Drjo_1,

Please reference this topic to troubleshoot the switch offline problem.

If the problem remains after troubleshooting, please help to enable Zyxel support and help collect the switch tech support for me to check.

Zyxel Melen

• MarkSL
    MarkSL Posts: 26  Freshman Member

Sorry, I am not downloading a zip file from this forum.

Nebula Tips & Tricks