nas325: how to remove data on disk1, in RAID1 with disk1 and disk2 without removing data on disk2

Options
aldapooh
aldapooh Posts: 29  Freshman Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
Hi,

i have NAS325 with two identical toshiba drives in RAID1: disk1 and disk2.

Now I need to send disk1 to service due to malfunctions (attribute Thgrouput_Performance is failing: FAILING_NOW. Value 50 is less or equal to threshold value 50)

My question is how to remove data on disk1, without removing data on disk2.

I thought of physically removing disk2 and formatting disk1, then removing disk1, inserting disk2 thinking that data on disk2 would be still ok.
and later when I get a new HDD I could repair RAID1 from data on disk2.

Do you think it is Ok?
Or is there any easier way to remove data on disk1 without touching disk2?

PS I cannot remove disk1 and format it via laptop, as I have no idea how to power it outside of NAS325.

Thanks.

Accepted Solution

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,605  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    What is your goal with removing the data? Just formatting it won't erase the data. The entries in the filesystem are overwritten, but the files are still there.

Anyway, your proposed procedure with removing disk 2 is OK. It is possible that you will have to re-activate the shares, as the NAS thinks the volume containing the shares is deleted. And check the SMART of disk 1 before destroying the volume, to make sure you and the NAS agree on which disk is disk 2.

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,605  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    What is your goal with removing the data? Just formatting it won't erase the data. The entries in the filesystem are overwritten, but the files are still there.

Anyway, your proposed procedure with removing disk 2 is OK. It is possible that you will have to re-activate the shares, as the NAS thinks the volume containing the shares is deleted. And check the SMART of disk 1 before destroying the volume, to make sure you and the NAS agree on which disk is disk 2.

Consumer Product Help Center