Multy M1 wifi device count support when using multiple satelites

Options
Hello,

1) I read that the number of wifi devices supported is 128, is this number increased when using multiple M1 in an ethernet Backhaul setting?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

2) is the 254 device (wired+wireless) due to ip routing coinsiderations or MAC adress tables that are limited? (i.e. if I use bridge mode and a separate router for all ip routing considerations, is that limit still there?)
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

3) What if I have a network of 300+ devices in a tree topology? can the multi be used as a "leaf" of the tree to provide wireless to ~50 wireless clients (so no router functions, just a Wireless access point, eventually cascading in ethernet backhaul with more multi m1)?

<router> ---- 300+ wired devices
  |
  |
  \___ (wan) Multi M1 bridge mode (lan) ___ethernet backhaul___ (wan) Multi M1

((((((( ~50 wireless clients )))))))

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 564  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

1. By adding an extra satellite to the mesh system will not increase the number of wireless clients. To accommodate additional connected wifi devices, you would need to set up another mesh system. 

2. The maximum number of IP addresses that can be assigned is 254, which is limited by the size of the IP pool. However, if you use a separate router for IP routing, you may be able to increase the number of wired clients, though the maximum number of wireless clients for a Multy M1 mesh system will still be 128.

Moreover, I would like to recommend that you consider using a firewall instead of a home router. A firewall will provide better security and be more suitable for your needs. 

3. If you already have a router on your network, you can switch your Multy M1 to bridge mode, which will allow it to function as an access point and keep all your connected devices on the same subnet. 

Kay 

Kay

All Replies

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 564  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

1. By adding an extra satellite to the mesh system will not increase the number of wireless clients. To accommodate additional connected wifi devices, you would need to set up another mesh system. 

2. The maximum number of IP addresses that can be assigned is 254, which is limited by the size of the IP pool. However, if you use a separate router for IP routing, you may be able to increase the number of wired clients, though the maximum number of wireless clients for a Multy M1 mesh system will still be 128.

Moreover, I would like to recommend that you consider using a firewall instead of a home router. A firewall will provide better security and be more suitable for your needs. 

3. If you already have a router on your network, you can switch your Multy M1 to bridge mode, which will allow it to function as an access point and keep all your connected devices on the same subnet. 

Kay 

Kay

Consumer Product Help Center