Zyxel Multy M1 - network topology for ethernet backhaul

Options
Falco
Falco Posts: 6
Friend Collector First Comment
edited February 2023 in Multy WiFi System
I have bought a Zyxel Multy M1 3-pack of which I would like to connect 2 stations with ethernet backhaul and the other wireless (no ethernet connection available in that room).

However, after installing the system in bridge mode, it was very unstable. Roaming didn't work well and it quite often happened that the wireless network was completely unavailable.

After reading a lot on the Zyxel forums, it seems that the ethernet backhaul of the Multy products should not be mixed with other network devices. Is that still correct and do you always need to directly connect ("daisy chain") the stations to the main access point ("router" in Zyxel terminology, however it's not my actual router as the Multy is working in bridge mode).

For me it's impossible to directly connect the extender station directly to the main station. Below the network topology as I have tried unsuccesfully. Is it still the case that Multy needs it's "own" network for the ethernet backhaul?

All Replies

• OnnoJ
    OnnoJ Posts: 8
    Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    Options
    Ethernet backhaul can perfectly mixed with other network devices. I also have 3pack Multy M1 and use wired backhaul while several devices are connected via the same network, using M1's as combined access point/switches - no problems!

In you topology I think that the mistake is to have 2 M1s connected to ISP Router.
    Just connect one to the ISP router (set up as main) and connect the second wired M1 to the main M1 as a satellite. 3rd M1 as wireless satellite.

I've set up a DMZ on ISP router with main M1 set as DMZ server. The main M1 is configured in NAT-mode. Second M1 (satellite) is wired to main M1, third M1 (satellite) is wired to 2nd M1.

Works perfectly.

Hope this helps...
  • Zyxel_Nami
    Zyxel_Nami Posts: 488  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hi @Falco

As your provided topology, we assume that you configured the first M1 as Multy Router and two rest of M1s as Multy satellites. There are four points that you may check to troubleshoot your internet connection. 

1. Before deploying Multy Satellites in your topology, please check if Multy Router has been successfully switched to Bridge mode. This is because attempting to deploy the satellites while the router is still in Router mode may result in the devices not being in the same subnet, which can cause the Mesh network to not function properly. Therefore, it is recommended to confirm that the Multy Router is in Bridge mode before pairing and deploying the Multy Satellites. 

2. You should check which port of the Multy Satellite 1 is connected to the ISP router. Make sure it's connected to one of the LAN1/2/3 ports on the Multy M1, not the WAN/LAN4 port. Additionally, both Multy M1s connected to ISP router should be in the same subnet/LAN/VLAN. 

If the ports are correctly correct, you may check for any Routing Policies on the ISP Router that may be redirecting traffic from the Multy Satellite to the internet directly, bypassing the Multy Router. If such a policy exists, it should be modified or disabled to ensure that all traffic from the Multy Satellite is properly routed through the Multy Router before reaching the internet.

3. To build your topology in another easier way, we suggest as following: 

- The first subnet can be set up with the first Multy M1 acting as a single router on A location. 

- The second subnet can be configured with the second and third Multy M1s which are set up as the Multy Router and Multy Satellite, respectively, on B location.

It's important to ensure that the first and second subnets are configured as different subnet/LAN/VLAN to avoid any IP conflicts or issues. 

4. The location between stations is also one of the factors affecting WiFi connection and should be inspected. You can check the signal strength at Web GUI > Mesh > Backhaul column. For example, the below image shows the Satellite is too close to Bedroom (Multy Router).

For deploying a stable mesh connection, it is recommended that the satellite should be located to the uplink device in the suitable range. Thus, please provide us the screenshot to see how the satellite’s signals are. 

Best Regards, 

Nami 

Zyxel Nami

• Falco
    Options
    Hello @Zyxel_Nami

Do I understand correctly that even in bridge mode, it is required that all traffic flows through the main Multy station (router)? With other mesh WiFi solutions, it is sufficient (in bridge mode) that they are connected to the same network.

Please let me know.
  • Zyxel_Nami
    Options
    Hi @Falco

Yes, all traffic should be transferred to Multy Router before going to the internet even in Bridge mode.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

Best Regards,
    Nami

Zyxel Nami

• Falco
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Hi @Falco

Yes, all traffic should be transferred to Multy Router before going to the internet even in Bridge mode.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

Best Regards,
    Nami
    Hi @Zyxel_Nami , can you explain why this is? Other brands don't have this limitation in bridge mode, the nodes are able to communicate to each other when they are in the same subnet, despite other traffic flowing in the subet. It really limits the network topology. Now it's not possible to use a star topology for my network and mix it with IPTV receivers, mesh WiFi access points and other devices.

Could it be fixed in a newer release of the firmware?
  • Aaron_ML
    Aaron_ML Posts: 6
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I understand what Nami said that if the traffic going to internet, it should go through the root one, but all end devices under multiples Extenders should be able to connect each other, no need to go to main station
  • Zyxel_Nami
    Options

Hi @Falco

I apologize for any confusion caused earlier. 

If the ISP router does not have any routing policies set up, traffic from the Multy Satellite 1 will go through the Multy Router before reaching the internet. However, if there is a routing policy in place (for example, if LAN traffic is directed to 8.8.8.8), the traffic from the Multy Satellite will go directly to the internet. 

For clients under Satellites, they don’t need to go to Multy Router when they are in the same subnet and want to communicate with each other. 

Regarding the issue with roaming and the wireless network being unavailable, could you please check the Backhaul status on the Multy Web GUI? Also, you can check the LED color of Multy devices to diagnose device behavior basing on the following Table (Table 7 page 29 of User Guide)

We assume that the distance between Multy Router and Multy Satellite 1/2 is far enough that the wireless backhaul of Satellite 1/2 and Multy Router may not be established, but the wireless backhaul of Satellite 2 and Satellite 1 should be fine if they are placed within a suitable range and the Multy Satellite 1 is connected via LAN port instead of WAN port.

Please note that Multy Satellite should be connected via LAN port instead of WAN port in order to avoid possible configuration problems that may prevent wireless clients under Satellite 1 and Satellite 2 from accessing the internet.

The layout of your home, such as walls and other obstacles, can also impact the quality of the wireless backhaul connection. 

We are looking forward to hearing from your feedback.

Nami 

Zyxel Nami

• Falco
    Options

Hi @Zyxel_Nami,

The unstability is already resolved. I had connected a IPTV receiver that needs IGMP snooping support to the Zyxel router unit. Unfortunately, the Zyxel router crashed and behaved strange because of this (probably due to high IP packet load that it had to process).

Now (after a lot of troubleshooting) I have connected the Zyxel router and the IPTV box to a switch that supports IGMP snooping (Zyxel GS1200-5) this problem doesn't occur anymore.

For the routing policy on my ISP modem/router, I will check. Maybe the above fix also resolves the issue with Ethernet backhaul, but I didn't try anymore after buying the "IGMP snooping" switch.

Currently the speeds on both satellites (wireless backhaul) are acceptable and roaming works correctly. Thanks for your help!

Kind regards,

Falco

Consumer Product Help Center