How to Docker on my NAS542?

Options

Hello guys,

I am questioning myself, is it possible to run Docker on a Zyxel NAS542 and how difficult would it be to create a kernel?

This blog post gives me some nice information on how to check the kernel configuration for Docker when I am using an embedded device.

However, I am unsure of how to flash the kernel onto the device. Are there any scripts that I can use? Can someone give me some tips?

My goal is to install Paperless in Docker with OMV.

System info:

openmediavault 4.1.36-1 (Arrakis)

Kernel: 3.2.0-6-nas5xx

Architecture:          armv7l

Byte Order:            Little Endian

CPU(s):                2

On-line CPU(s) list:   0,1

Thread(s) per core:    1

Core(s) per socket:    2

Socket(s):             1

Model:                 1

CPU max MHz:           1200000,0000

CPU min MHz:           160000,0000

BogoMIPS:              1196.85

Flags:                 swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls

All Replies

• sitro
    sitro Posts: 36  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
    Options

hi,

were you successful in your attempt to install Docker?
    I would like to do the same on my Nas542

• MrAlex
    MrAlex Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Options

Hi Sitro,

No, it wasn't. I spent thousands of hours creating a kernel compatible with Docker, but it always ended up in a bootloop. Additionally, the hardware is too slow for these types of processes. I flashed it with an available .img from the internet that comes whit OpenMediaVault.

As a workaround for Docker, I decided to buy a Raspberry Pi 4 and install Docker on it along with Portainer and Paperless etc. I was able all to set it up in just a couple of hours. Then I backup the volumes with data using a custom backup script that I created for the Raspberry Pi and then upload them to this "NAS" device.

I don't think it's worth the time to attempt any hacks with the NAS, but if you want to try, it can be a good learning experience for your programming skills, flashing, and learning new Linux commands, etc.

Consumer Product Help Center