WSM20 too close

Options
tempcode
tempcode Posts: 3
Friend Collector First Comment
edited February 2023 in Multy WiFi System
Good morning everyone,

I have recently buy a kit of WSM20 spots with 3 devices in the box. I have installed the first 2 spot, checked the backhaul and seems al working well. After some hour I have checked the backhaul again because seems that my phone doesn't automatically switch between WSM20 spots: the result is that I have to move my second spot more far from the fist one.

I have experience with other mesh system and no one talk about the need to have all the spot at the right distance: I am always think about a mesh system and I believe the improvement can be in the possibilities to have "smart" spots that talk each other to give to you the best wireless experience.

But with this kit seems doesn't happen. This behavior seems complicated and I don't want to relocate the second spot.

With my previous experience I don't have this "position issue". Someone have the same problem? Is there a possibility to solve this issue without move the spots?

Thank you

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 562  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

As normal, end device will choose the stronger WiFi signal for connection. However, if both of the signal strength is similar, this will cause the end device stick on one of them. 

If your Multy M1s are placed too close together, it may cause channel conflict, end device failing to switch smoothly, and affect your WiFi experience. Therefore, it’s important to ensure a perfect distance between your Multy devices for optimal network performance and a seamless WiFi experience. 

Here is another forum that discuss about the definition of Multy’s backhaul status: Perfect signal strenght between Multys — Zyxel Community 

For Multy M1’s WiFi signal strength measurement, you may refer to the User’s Guide pg.62: Multy M1 (WSM20)_V2.40_Ed2.pdf (zyxel.com) 

Kay 

Kay

All Replies

• Zyxel_Kay
    Answer ✓
    Options

As normal, end device will choose the stronger WiFi signal for connection. However, if both of the signal strength is similar, this will cause the end device stick on one of them. 

If your Multy M1s are placed too close together, it may cause channel conflict, end device failing to switch smoothly, and affect your WiFi experience. Therefore, it’s important to ensure a perfect distance between your Multy devices for optimal network performance and a seamless WiFi experience. 

Here is another forum that discuss about the definition of Multy’s backhaul status: Perfect signal strenght between Multys — Zyxel Community 

For Multy M1’s WiFi signal strength measurement, you may refer to the User’s Guide pg.62: Multy M1 (WSM20)_V2.40_Ed2.pdf (zyxel.com) 

Kay 

Kay

• tempcode
    Options

Thank you @Zyxel_Kay for your answer. I really appreciate it.

But I can't stop think about the fact that is not what a MESH system do. A good position, for a real MESH system, is relative to be not too far between points. a "too close" remarks is strange and put me in a bad condition: If I have a temporary magnetic issue in my house? I have to relocate the spots. If come out another wireless system in my zone that interfer with my M1 system? I have to relocate the spots. And If I have fixed one spot to wall?…

A MESH system, that it want call like this, have to be smart and make spots that talk each other to setup a good wireless network. I can understand that could exist a "too close" point for all MESH system but my spots are al least 15 meter distant (with wall and other things)…at the fist coupling I had to use all the length of the power supply to put spots closer or the procedure goes bad.

I don't wanna fix a spot to wall and I don't wanna relocate my furniture for a spot. I have -69 dBm RSSI of backhaul and my phone seem slow to connect from a point to another point, when I move in my house. It's a bad experience. Seems more an AP system pre-configured than a MESH system.

PS. In Italy, the diagnose of the WiFi signal doesn't work. It show me a dialog with a message in Italian that say about thee need to connect to the Multy network. I'm already connected to it. Probably the bridge mode that I use?

• Zyxel_Kay
    edited February 2023
    Options

Hi @tempcode

I understand your concerns about the placement of your mesh system. The backhaul status, whether it is “too close”, “Perfect”, or “too far”, is merely a reference point for users to troubleshoot their backhaul status quickly. Ultimately, the user can decide whether to adjust the placement of their Multy devices. 

In some cases, if the Multy devices are placed too close together, it can cause interference with the WiFi channels and disrupt the smooth roaming of end devices.  

To help address these issues, our Multy APP provides a diagnose tool that can measure the WiFi signal strength and provide a reference while placing your Multy devices. Additionally, our Multy devices support AP steering, which can inform end devices of which Multy node has a stronger signal and suggest that they connect to it. However, whether or not to connect to the suggested node ultimately depends on the behavior of the end device. 

*P/S: Please note that the diagnostic tool in Multy APP is currently not available on Android devices while the router is in bridge mode. We are actively working on resolving this issue and will provide an update once it is fixed. 

Kay 

Kay

• tempcode
    Options

Thank you @Zyxel_Kay ,

I have move the spot not connected to the router at the cornert of my house (the more far distance that I can obtain without move my furniture). Now the backhaul have an RSSI of -73 dBm (luckly the web interface work in all cases :D).

I would not like to put the spot in a worst position than this, like the floor. But if can be necessary I can try this option.

Than you again for your precious information.

Consumer Product Help Center