Zyxel NR5101 download speeds vary too much

RCOO
RCOO Posts: 1
edited January 4 in Mobile Broadband

Hi everyone,

Just got this model to try to compare with the ZTE MC801A.

Honestly the Zyxel it is far better when it comes to download and upload speed. Ping is a bit higher, unfortunately.

However, I'm facing a random problem. Normally I can get up to 400 Mbps download and up to 90 Mbps up.

However, randomly, at some point in time the router only gives me single digits download while remaining to give me at least 60 Mbps upload.

After a while I get again very high speeds download and upload. Sometimes I get very low values on one device and very good values on a device sitting right next to it (not testing at the same time).

I am convinced this is not the modem/5g connection but have no clue what it might be. I had the theory it could be some "savings" mode of the router, but I can't find anything in the settings.

Does anyone have a clue here? Would love to keep the Zyxel but the ZTE has proven more reliable so far.

I'm on the latest v5 software and had version 6 installed before.

Both my 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz are using the same ssid but I can confirm the devices I test from are connected to 5Ghz.

All Replies

• Friday
    Friday Posts: 80  Ally Member
    5 Answers First Comment Friend Collector First Anniversary

Hi @RCOO ,

How's the signal strength? my understand is if the signal is weak, the throughput will not be good.

So I assume when the download speed is not good, the signal strength might be weak.

thank you.

• krispyn6
    krispyn6 Posts: 1
    First Comment First Anniversary

a mi me pasa lo mismo y aun teniendo cobertura 5g y señal excelente (led verde)

Por las mañanas entre 100 y 150 mb de descarga y por las noches muchas veces no pasa de 15 mg de descarga

Consumer Product Help Center