NSA320 Disc Check

I have a NSA320, which works OK but seems to be no longer supported with updates.

When I try to scan the disk it aborts at 21% with the error "Failed to scan volume."

The log shows:
"Cannot unmount Volume and Raid. System busy using Volume and Raid. Please reboot and try again."

I've tried rebooting several times with the same result and would welcome ideas on how to overcome the problem.

Jim

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,600  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

You can disable as many packages as possible, reboot and retry.

• JimFord
    JimFord Posts: 5
    First Anniversary First Comment

Thanks for the reply 'Mijzelf'.

I tried disabling the packages (I've not got any enabled anyway). I also disabled FTP, Syslog and NFS and rebooted, but it hasn't made any difference. The system can't unmount the RAID array (md0)

Jim

• Mijzelf

Right. There is a way to run e2fsck manually, by injecting some code in the shutdown script, but for that you need shell access. Are you afraid for the command line? If not, you can try to open the Telnet backdoor, and login over telnet. If that succeeded, we can go further.

• JimFord
    JimFord Posts: 5
    First Anniversary First Comment

Thanks again 'Mijzelf'

I'm OK with a command line. I can ssh into the NAS using FFP. I'd had a look at the system with df, but was put off when I saw that there were four instances of /dev/md0 that would need to be unmounted.

I've a mind to leave well alone as it's working OK, but I can remember that when the web interface allowed me to check and repair the fs it released quite a bit of space (but a Linux fs shouldn't need defragmenting?)

Jim

• Mijzelf

OK. Here you can find instructions.

it released quite a bit of space (but a Linux fs shouldn't need defragmenting?)

An ext3 is less vulnerable for fragmenting than some other filesystems. Yet some fragmenting will occur, and if you know how you can create a badly fragmented filesystem. But fragmenting doesn't waste space, only access time, and e2fsck doesn't defragment.

The only way for e2fsck to release space is, I think, when there are lost clusters. Those clusters are by default stored in lost+found, so nothing is released, but as that directory is not accessible on a 320 without 3th party software maybe the firmware empties that directory after a web-initiated filesystem check.

Consumer Product Help Center