Adding Syncthing to Zyxel NAS540

Options

Good morning

I am trying to add Syncthing to my Zyxel NAS540. I have read a few posts and managed to install the Mijzelf Reposistory. This has installed some useful apps like Total Commander and Plex Media Server, but it doesn't install Syncthing. I am guessing it used to?

Can anyone help with installing Syncthing? I have just built an Unraid server and Syncthing would be the perfect package to sync my NAS to the Unraid server.

One other question, I have installed Total Commander, but it doesn't do anything when I click launch? Any ideas?

Any help would be very appreciated.

Many thanks

SS

Accepted Solution

• ssmith369
    ssmith369 Posts: 6
    First Comment
    Answer ✓
    Options

Many thanks for the reply.

Perfect. I should have checked to see if it used to be called something else!!

I did wonder whether Total Commander was command line. Thank you for clarifying.

I guess I need to manly update syncthing to 0.13 before I can get the web GUI update to work? I think I read about that elsewhere?

Many thanks again

SS

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,607  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

The Syncthing package is called Pulse. That was the name of the tool at the moment I created the package.

MidnightCommander is a commandline tool. So to use it you'll have to use an ssh or telnet shell.

• ssmith369
    First Comment
    Answer ✓
    Options

Many thanks for the reply.

Perfect. I should have checked to see if it used to be called something else!!

I did wonder whether Total Commander was command line. Thank you for clarifying.

I guess I need to manly update syncthing to 0.13 before I can get the web GUI update to work? I think I read about that elsewhere?

Many thanks again

SS

• ssmith369
    First Comment
    Options

I have v 0.12.4 installed. I am guessing this is too old a version to talk with my Unraid server which is running v1.23.4 as I get this message:

I obviously would like to upgrade syncthing on my NAS anyway. I am following this artcle:

h**ps://forum.syncthing.net/t/update-of-syncthing-on-nas-zyxel-nsa325-v2/14676

which says you have to manually change the bin from the download to v 0.13.1 then the web GUI upgrade will work.

It also states that the syncthing bin is in /usr/local/zy-pkgs/bin. I don't have this folder at all. My syncthing binary is in /i-data/c8c5d1df/.PKG/Pulse/bin.

I stopped syncthing, renamed the exisiting binary, copied the v0.13.1 binary to this folder then changed it's attributes to 755.

When I restart syncthing I get this:

The first odd thing is the "(unknown device)" instaed of "NAS542" top left. I thought, not a problem, I will just go into Actions>Settings and change it. But If I click Action>Settings, I don't get a settings GUI nothing happens? So I then try and click the weird "Upgrade To {%version%} button. This does actually upgrade, but when it restarts, I just get a blank web GUI with just this at the bottom:

I do get a new binary file after the upgrade:

What am I doing wrong? I am suspicious of the bin location, but my knowledge of Linux is limited.

Any help would be much appreacited.

Many thanks

SS

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,607  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Have a look in the admin share. There should be a directory 'Pulse', which is the home directory of Syncthing. According to the startscript there should be a logfile there, and Syncthing stores it's settings there. Maybe the settings file is incompatible. Disable Syncthing, delete the settings file, and start it again.

• ssmith369
    First Comment
    Options

Sorry for posting this on a seperate post. I didn't think the above posted yesterday.

It appear that the problem was just a browser cache issue. Once I did the upgrade to the newest version, I tried http://NAS542:9999 in a different browser and it all works great. The unraid server and NAS542 are syncing as I type :-)

Many thanks for your help

SS

Consumer Product Help Center