Poor performance of NR7102

Matty1
Matty1 Posts: 8
First Comment
edited January 4 in Mobile Broadband

Hi
I have a brand new NR7102 router, using SUNRISE in Switzerland as mobile internet provider. Details on the router:

1. The firmware is v1.00(ABYD.0)C0 .
  2. Upgrade firmware function on router does not work. Message: "it is impossible to retrieve the information now. Please try again"
  3. No other firmware download provided by Zyxel, despite the fact that in their latest security message (january 2023 in this community) they mention v1.00(ABYD.2)C0 as firmware for NR7102
  4. Router connects to SUNRISE network, shows "very good" connection, -83db
  5. Download and Upload max <60 mbps, whatever configuration used.
  6. Manually selecting one of the 3 bands used by SUNRISE does not help, speed always below 60mbps

When using the same SIM-card with a Netgear NIGHTHAWK M1, I'm getting at least 150mbps, on optimal locations even more than 200mbps.

Does anybody have an idea why my NR7102 is performing so poorly?

Matty

All Replies

• SELBERG
    SELBERG Posts: 266  Master Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited May 2023

Try this file!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lAbUsWBdF3uix5Ua2wwlNnXzpRyORsaJ/view?usp=sharing

Modifications in V1.00(ABYD.2)C0
    [Known defects]

[Feature Enhancement/Configuration Changing]
    1. Add ztr69cli feature
    2. Update openssl to 1.1.1n

[Fixed Defects]
    1. Fixed specific unauthenticated buffer overflow, post authentication buffer overflow and command.
    2. Fix specific URL get cleartext storage of sensitive information

Modifications in V1.00(ABYD.0)C0
    First release

• Matty1
    First Comment

… thank you. I tried uploading this firmaware a couple of minutes ago. The router returns the following message: "Image upload failed. The selected file is an illegal image."

By the way: The search-for-firmware-funtions on both the web interface and the app are crap. They do not work at all. The web interface returns the following messasge when trying to search for upgrades: "It is impossible to retireve the infomation now. Please try again". I really hate IT people for creating such stupid messages …

• SELBERG

Did you update with or without sim? It's recomended without it.

• Matty1
    First Comment

Thanks! I updated the firmware … But this had no effect on speed. Stil <60 mbps download. From the same spot, with the same SIM, my Nighthawk M1 delivers more than 200mbps!

• Matty1
    First Comment

I'm giving up, I already wasted 1 day in trying to get this router working properly. At this price, I expect a product to work properly, out of the box.
    I will return the router to Amazon, and buy a router from TP-Link or Netgear. They sell products which work, out of the box!

• SELBERG

Do you use it outside or inside? Pointing exactly to the celltower?

Ever tried with sim from your phone?

• Matty1
    First Comment

Inside, outside, same SIM in phone, in Nighthawk, in NR7102 … Zyxel, never again!

• SELBERG

Did you point it exactly to the cell?

It's important because otherwise you get poor speed.

• tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 825  Guru Member
    edited May 2023

Hello @Matty1

I don't think that the NR7102 has a simple out of the box setup.

The following video might help you.

Kind regards,

Tony

• Rooney
    Rooney Posts: 2
    Friend Collector First Comment

I have just set up the NR7102 in Norway, and ran into similar problems. The unit connected to 5G with excellent strenght, but I was only able to get 8 mbps download and upload when testing either by phone (app) or by pc (ethernet). The solution was to connect the NR7102 to my old Huawei 4G router (wan-port, no SIM). For some reason I now get 200 mbps download and 80 upload when connecting through the Huawei router. Do you have a WAN-port on your Netgear NIGHTHAWK ?

Consumer Product Help Center