18TB on NAS326 as JBOD

Options
xanatos
xanatos Posts: 2
Friend Collector First Comment
edited May 2023 in Personal Cloud Storage

I've just bought a NAS326 and (sadly) a 18TB hdd. I want to install it as jbod. I'm OK on wasting 400gb of space. The web interface doesn't let me format only 16TiB. If I select "Single volume on RAID" it tells me that it is too big. Can I do it manually? I know how to use SSH, but when I tried to format the hdd in ext4 "manually", the NAS326 didn't recognize it.

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,607  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

The web interface doesn't let me format only 16TiB. If I select "Single volume on RAID" it tells me that it is too big.

What do you mean? It can create a 16TiB volume, but not as single volume on RAID?

• xanatos
    xanatos Posts: 2
    Friend Collector First Comment
    Options

Yes. If I try to:

then

But then

There is no option to reduce the partition size to 16 TiB.

If I go through the

it works, but I'm interested in the "better access performance"

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,607  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Ah, I see.

I'm interested in the "better access performance"

For the record, I don't think you'll notice the difference.

I think you can create a disk group, and then from the command line just put an ext4 filesystem on the raw raid array. The 16TiB limitation is because ext4 originally had a limitation of 2^32 clusters. The limitation was lifted around kernel 3.2. Your box runs 3.10, so the kernel should support >16TiB. Don't know if mke2fs also supports that. Your original attempt to put ext4 on the disk was on the box?

To be able to put a filesystem on the raid array you'll first have to umount the volume(s) and maybe remove the logical volumes with lv/vgremove. That can be hard, as the firmware has internal bindmounts on the volume, and running processes which keep some files open. But there is a work-around, you can inject some code in the shutdown script to get shell access after the firmware has cleaned up it's mess. Search the forum for resize2fs, and on a NAS, not an NSA, which is slightly different.

When the volumegroup is gone, and an ext4 filesystem is put in it's place, I expect the firmware to use that, after a reboot.

Consumer Product Help Center