NAS326, three folders changed to lost status after rebuild

Options

I had a drive fail recently and after putting a new one in and rebuilding the array three folders disappeared and now have the status of "lost" while all other data is intact. The volume is healthy but three folders are gone, how can I get them back without spending a fortune on a data recovery service?

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,605  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

When the disk fail resulted in a filesystem error, the directories could be lost in 'lost clusters'. If that is the case, the filesystem repair should have put them in the directory lost+found in the root of the filesystem.

On a '326 you can find that directory as /i-data/sysvol/lost+found/. It is only accessible when you login as root.

how can I get them back without spending a fortune on a data recovery service?

You should have a backup. There is nothing magic in a NAS. It will fail some day.

• nmoon88
    nmoon88 Posts: 7
    First Comment
    Options

I was trying to make a backup around the time that this happened and it failed because the folders were missing. I can't afford $1,000 plus on data recovery and am trying data recovery on the old drive two in the array because it is mechanically ok.

• nmoon88
    nmoon88 Posts: 7
    First Comment
    Options

So far the program I have searching has found data but it is mostly stuff I already have or was successfully restored during the rebuild process. The only thing is it has three to four days of searching left according to the calculations being made.

Consumer Product Help Center