NSA221 - Size of HDD Rails

Options

I have recently obtained a second-hand NSA221 but the HDD rails are missing.

I can't find these listed anywhere on the Internet so will have to improvise.

Wondered if anyone can confirm the width and thickness of these rails please?

All Replies

• suisei
    suisei Posts: 73  Ally Member
    10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

I think the model is too old, maybe you could consider with new NAS model.

• AndyHuk
    AndyHuk Posts: 5
    First Comment
    Options

Thanks for the reply.

I always think replacing something that works perfectly just because it "old' is a terrible waste of money and certainly not very environmentally conscious!

In the end I bought three sets of rails for less than £2 and modified them until the fit was correct.

The result, new discs fitted and NAS working fine - apart from the annoying features (like auto power on/off not working properly) that Zyxel appear to have never bothered to fix 🙁..... another good reason Not to buy another Zyxel NAS replacement!!

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,617  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

I always think replacing something that works perfectly just because it
    "old' is a terrible waste of money and certainly not very
    environmentally conscious!

:thumb:

apart from the annoying features (like auto power on/off not working properly)

Can you elaborate on that? What is it supposed to do, and what does it do?

• AndyHuk
    First Comment
    Options

I have to retract my previous comment and apologise!

In seeing this post I tried the config again to provide some notes on the problem and found it was simply operator stupidity 😒 Although I'd clicked "Apply" in the Power Control Schedule List, I had failed to click Apply again in the main Power Management screen so the schedule wasn't actually being enabled. Having followed the process correctly it does work 🙂

The last remaining grumble is the fact that it's no longer possible to download any packages which means one has to set-up a back-up schedule in a fairing complex way that is dependent on an external PC being powered up.

• Mijzelf
    Options

The last remaining grumble is the fact that it's no longer possible
    to download any packages which means one has to set-up a back-up
    schedule in a fairing complex way that is dependent on an external PC
    being powered up.

I have a backup of the firmware 4 packages here, and normally you can use MetaRepository to access them. There are 2 caveats, MetaRepository only runs on EABI firmware. When I remember well that is firmware 4.4+ for the 221. And the 2nd caveat, I don't know if the backup packages are compatible. They work on the 320, 310 and 325, but I'm not sure about the 210 and 221. I think they will run, but I have no feedback about that. And I don't own a 2xx myself. (Except for an 220, but that is even older, and never had an EABI update)

• AndyHuk
    First Comment
    Options

Thanks very much for your reply again.

Although I'd searched for alternative repos of the packages I had not come across this so it is REALLY useful.

But one follow-up question if I may please….

I've followed the instructions and successfully retrieved/installed MetaRepository, which appears to make a list of packages available. But, this seems to be the list of packages from the fw4 directory. The back-up planned package I need is in the fw4_stock_packages directory - but I can work out how to retrieve those. Can you advise me please?

• Mijzelf
    Options

Have a look at the webinterface of the MetaRepository package. Here you can add extra repo's. (And remove the defunct ZyXEL repo)

• AndyHuk
    First Comment
    Options

That's great thanks. Worked it out and got the backup package installed successfull.

Now have some trouble-shooting to do when I get time..... I've successfully created a few back-up jobs. Within the Backup screen of the web GUI I see the last and next execution time but the job had very short execution time and does not generate a backup. Looking in the log section of the web GUI I see the jobs always fail, although the error message doesn't give much clue as to the actual cause:

[schedule] Job [Test] is resulted as failed

Consumer Product Help Center