NAS325v2 no longer access or login to drive over network. Status is UNINITIALISED

Options

I know this the wrong category. NAS drive not shown in categories. Had a power cut and drive won't let me access via network. It's set-up as 2 disk raid. When connected directly to drive it shows drive name and users. Tried to view drive using finder on my MacBook, and it says "no shares available". In the NAS starter utility, shows a screen which gives "status" as "uninitialised. Has a button to run initialisation wizard. Do I press that? don't want to risk the data on the drives. Can anyone help?

Accepted Solution

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,635  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Do not run the initialization wizard. It will kill your data.

To be able to troubleshoot your problem, you'll need shell access. The easiest way to get that is the Telnet backdoor. To be able to access that you'll need a telnet client. On Windows you can use PuTTY for that, for a Mac I don't know.

When you have shell access, you can execute

cat /proc/mdstat
    cat /proc/partitions
    df -h

To get some information about the raid array, the disks, partitions, and the filesystems.

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Answer ✓
    Options

Do not run the initialization wizard. It will kill your data.

To be able to troubleshoot your problem, you'll need shell access. The easiest way to get that is the Telnet backdoor. To be able to access that you'll need a telnet client. On Windows you can use PuTTY for that, for a Mac I don't know.

When you have shell access, you can execute

cat /proc/mdstat
    cat /proc/partitions
    df -h

To get some information about the raid array, the disks, partitions, and the filesystems.

• robintheplumber
    Options

Thanks Mijxelf, I'll see if I can find a Mac Telnet client. If the disks are intact, can I simply move to a new Zyxel drive? My thinking is that the problem is going to be hardware due to power cut (even thought we have a surge protector). So long as the disks are still ok, which they seem to be, will that work?

• Mijzelf
    Options

If the disks are intact, can I simply move to a new Zyxel drive?

Unfortunately not. Unless you can find an old 2 disk NSA model (as opposed to the current NAS models). The disk layout has been changed.

It is perfectly possible that a power cut damages the filesystem, making it impossible to mount it. That can be a minor issue what can be repaired easily. On the other hand, the NAS itself can hardly be damaged by a power cut, unless there have been power spikes.

You'd expect the firmware wouldn't report a damaged filesystem as 'uninitialized', and run a filesystem repair, but I don't know how the NSA firmware handles this.

Consumer Product Help Center