Migrate from NAS320 2TB to NAS326 4TB

Options
Jarosław
Jarosław Posts: 3
First Comment
edited November 2023 in Personal Cloud Storage

Please advise how to migrate from old 320 to new 326 as soon as possible? I currently have RAID1, v4.70 (AFO 1).

I'm considering: Remove one 2TB drive from the NAS 320 and put a 4TB drive in it. Then the system should clone the 2TB disk to the new 4TB disk and make it a 2TB disk. Then move the 4TB disk to the new NAS326 and expand the partition to 4TB. Then insert the second 4TB drive and the system should clone it.
I'm considering the second option: remove the current 2TB drive from the NAS320 and put it in the NAS326. Then insert the second empty disk into the NAS326 and wait for the system to clone it. Then expand the partitions to 4TB.

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,728  Guru Member
    Community MVP First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
    Options

Neither will work. Unfortunately the NAS326 won't recognize a disk from the NSA320 and vice versa. However, when you're not afraid for the command line you can use an ssh shell to mount the '320 filesystem manually in the '326, and copy the content over.

• Jarosław
    First Comment
    edited November 2023
    Options

Thank you for the quick reply.
    Of course I'm familiar with ssh. No problem. But I would need instructions for each step.

I understand that if I mount a file system on '326 via ssh such as on '320, then I have to move one of the disks back to '320 and the system will clone it. Then I will return it to '326, I will also insert a second empty disk and the system should clone itself.

Generally, what I mean is that I am looking for the fastest migration method, because many people in the company use the server on a daily basis, so manually copying files (1.5Tb) could take several hours and slow down the network.

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,728  Guru Member
    Community MVP First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
    Options

I understand that if I mount a file system on '326 via ssh such as on
    '320, then I have to move one of the disks back to '320 and the system
    will clone it. Then I will return it to '326, I will also insert a
    second empty disk and the system should clone itself.

'Clone' is not the word I would use here. You have to copy the files from one filesystem to another. But the filesystems and their partitions/raid array have to be created by the 326 and 320. The is no moment both disks are part of the same raid array.

But I would need instructions for each step.

Basically, when you have inserted the 320 disk in the 326, and the disk is sdb:

mdadm —assemble /dev/md3 /dev/sdb2 —run —readonly
    mkdir /mnt/md3
    mount /dev/md3 /mnt/md3
    cd /mnt/md3
    cp -a * /i-data/sysvol/admin

Copies everything to the admin share.

The strange characters before the run and readonly are a double minus. But this forum software exchanges that by something else, even in a code block.

• Jarosław
    First Comment
    edited December 2023
    Options

Thank you very much for instructions, however I decided to go with a standard way. I just copied all data from NAS230 to NAS326. I took me 15 hours thrue 1Gb network

• guoliao
    guoliao Posts: 3
    First Comment
    Options

The second option you mentioned is generally a better approach for migrating from your old NAS 320 to the new NAS 326 with larger drives. Here's a step-by-step guide for this approach:

1. Prepare the New NAS 326:
      • Insert one of the new 4TB drives into the NAS 326.
      • Initialize and set up the NAS 326 with the 4TB drive.
    2. Clone Data from Old NAS 320:
      • Remove the 2TB drive from your old NAS 320.
      • Insert this 2TB drive into the NAS 326 alongside the 4TB drive.
      • Configure the NAS 326 to clone the data from the 2TB drive to the 4TB drive. This process may vary depending on your NAS's operating system, so consult your NAS documentation for specific instructions.
      • Wait for the cloning process to complete.
    3. Expand the Partitions:
      • Once the cloning process is done, you should have a 4TB drive with a 2TB partition (the size of the original 2TB drive).
      • Use the NAS 326's disk management or storage expansion features to expand the partition to use the full 4TB capacity.
    4. Insert the Second 4TB Drive:
      • After expanding the partition on the 4TB drive, insert the second 4TB drive into the NAS 326.
    5. Set Up RAID 1:
      • Configure the NAS 326 to set up a RAID 1 array using the two 4TB drives. This will mirror your data for redundancy.
    6. Data Verification:
      • Verify that all your data is accessible and properly mirrored on the new NAS 326.

Remember to back up important data before starting the migration process, as there is always a risk of data loss during hardware upgrades and configuration changes.

Consumer Product Help Center