Lock to Accesspoint

Options

Hi!

Would you consider a feature that would allow for a possibility to lock a station to an certain accesspoint.
Basically that would disallow for a device to roam. Furthermore one should be able to force a device to only connect to a certain acceesspoint.

Thank you

1 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 568  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hi @dukisha016

Currently, there isn't a direct feature to lock a client device to a specific access point. However, you can achieve the desired outcome by separating the SSIDs between access points using tags, and then allowing the client to connect to a specific SSID.

For detailed instructions on setting up and configuring this, please refer to the following article:

Additionally, to ensure that a client device connects to a specific SSID, you can configure this on Nebula Control Center by navigating to Nebula > Site-wide > Clients > Client list. From there, you can manage and restrict client connections based on your preferences.

Furthermore, could you please share with us the reason behind your request?

Kay

• dukisha016
    dukisha016 Posts: 11
    Friend Collector First Comment
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hi!
    Thank you for your answer.
    Unfortunately this is not going to work.
    Why am I asking for this feature?
    Well i went on a site installed 3st NWA50AXs and what happened. Some clients connected to the access points that were further away(ex. TV above the accesspoint went bananas and connected to the accesspoint in the another room 10 meters away). If I could lock a client to a specific accesspoint the example above would never have happened.

• Zyxel_Kay
    Options

Hi @dukisha016

I understand your requirement to restrict your TV to connect to a specific access point. A solution could be to create a unique SSID specifically for your TV and use a SSID tag for the AP and SSID. This setup will effectively limit your TV's connection to the designated access point, preventing it from roaming to others. You can find the steps for this configuration in my previous comment.

Additionally, for broader network optimization, especially to prevent clients from sticking to an AP with a weaker signal, you might find this article on setting up seamless wireless roaming useful:

If the suggested solution doesn't meet your requirements, could you please provide more details on why these options might not be suitable for you?

Kay

• dukisha016
    dukisha016 Posts: 11
    Friend Collector First Comment
    Options

Hi @Zyxel_Kay

A solution could be to create a unique SSID specifically for your TV

And how many SSIDs would I have to create in that case? Lets count: 1SSID for 2.4GHz devices, 1SSID for 5GHz devices(across all access points on site) and 2 additional SSIDs for TVs on site per access point(some TVs do not support 5GHz), because there are multiple TV devices deployed in separate rooms. For 3 access points I would have to create 8SSIDs. What if I go and deploy 10 APs or 20. While the solution would work it would look ridiculous and highly unprofessional.

Thus why I am advocating for this feature.

• Zyxel_Kay
    Options

Hi @dukisha016

As mentioned earlier, to prevent clients from sticking to an access point (AP) with a weaker signal, consider reconfiguring your wireless environment to optimize the roaming experience. This can involve configuring features such as assist roaming (802.11k/v), fast roaming (802.11r), or smart steering.

For typical office or home setups with a limited number of APs, you can ensure effective connectivity by configuring SSID tags. Restricting end devices to connect to a specific AP, within the maximum configuration limit of 8 SSIDs allowed on Nebula, should suffice.

However, if you plan to deploy a large number of APs and create distinct SSIDs for different rooms, similar to a hotel or homestay setup, you may want to explore the 💎Programmable SSID feature in our Pro Pack Nebula org.

Check out this article for a detailed guide on efficiently creating dedicated SSIDs for each AP through Programmable SSID:

Kay