Mapping a new cell site with Zyxel Air

Options
bejb
bejb Posts: 14  Freshman Member
10 Comments Friend Collector
edited January 4 in Mobile Broadband

Until recently. I lived in a remote rural location in Northumberland with no mobile phone coverage from any provider. However, a new mast has been built on the other side of the valley, about 1.2 miles away. It provides O2 and VF services.

Using Zyxel Air, under Signal Strength, there is a facility labelled 'Map' which talks about Finding the nearby cell sites. It allows you to import the location of nearby cell sites using a CSV file format. I've tried to do that with the new mast (near Wreighill Pike, Latitude 55.31343, Longitude -2.03628). However, it doesn't seem to do anything.

I'm not entirely sure what it should do, or what I expected it to do (put a mark on the map?).

Could anyone help me import the location of the new cell site?

Accepted Solution

• bejb
    Answer ✓
    Options

I think this might have been resolved. I think the headings need to be Cell_ID but the previous example showed it as Cell ID. When I used Cell_ID, the masts appeared on the map. 😁

All Replies

• Internetheavyuser
    Internetheavyuser Posts: 75  Ally Member
    10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

The csv file only import the location of the cell.

And the format is like this

What is your purpose in doing this?

• bejb
    Options

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I have used that format, but nothing happens. There is no confirmation about whether it has worked or not. There is no mark on the map showing the mast. Nothing.

Of course, this could mean it has worked - but that it doesn't do anything.

I'm not sure what the map facility does. But there are plenty of examples of what it could do. For instance, it could show the distance from my router to the different masts, it could suggest signal strength, it could map coverage etc.

I don't know what it is supposed to do, but the facility is there, so I supposed it does something that might be useful. Seems I was probably wrong.

• Internetheavyuser
    Internetheavyuser Posts: 75  Ally Member
    10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited December 2023
    Options

The information you want to know you might ask ISP for information. (suggest signal strength, map coverage) Because the device would not have this information.

I think what you concern the most is whether you input the sim card the device can receive 4G or 5G signal or not. In order to do it, you can only put the sim card to test.

• bejb
    Answer ✓
    Options

I think this might have been resolved. I think the headings need to be Cell_ID but the previous example showed it as Cell ID. When I used Cell_ID, the masts appeared on the map. 😁

Consumer Product Help Center