GS1200-8 managed switch with Ubiquiti AP

Options

I was trying to connect my gs1200 switch with ubiquiti access point to have multiple SSID. I have 4 VLANs created with tag 10, 20, 30, & 40. My 1st port is LAN from pfsense connected to switch. I have set Link aggregation on Port 7 & 8 in the switch and 2 ports on the pfsense router. I have connected both port 7 & 8 to my pfsense for link aggregation. I want port 3 in the switch to connect AP to have my multiple SSID. How to achieve this with the switch configuration. Need help with this setup.

Thanks in advance, If this was answered before, please can someone give a link of that post.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Nami
    Zyxel_Nami Posts: 497  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hello @pkarthikkn

Let's confirm your network topology:

pfsense router - - - - - - - (LAG 2: port 7&8) Zyxel Switch GS1200 (port 3) - - - - - - - Ubiquiti AP

And you would like to create multiple SSIDs on the AP with different VLANs (VLAN IDs are 10, 20, 30, 40).

To achieve your requirements, these VLANs need to be created on the switch with ports 3 and LAG 2 (ports 7&8) as members of these VLANs. Since the router and AP are VLAN-aware devices, please set the tag egress member (orange) on port 3 and LAG 2 for VLANs 10, 20, 30, and 40.

Besides, please ensure the pfsense router is configured for these VLANs.

Below is the FAQ for your reference:

Zyxel Nami

• pkarthikkn
    Options

Hi,

So I have configured my router (pfsense) with the vlan's and also a LAGG interface which has all the vlan added to it.

How to set engress on lag 2 with the switch. I have attached my screen shot of my switch configurationi

• Zyxel_Nami
    Options

Hello @pkarthikkn

Can you confirm the number of APs you have and whether the following network topology accurately represents your setup?

If it is correct, you should have ports 3 and LAG2 set as Tagged Egress Members for VLANs 10, 20, and 30 as below:

To set the Tagged Egress Members for LAG2:

1. Click Modify on the specific VLAN (for example: VLAN 10), it will lead you to the modification page.
    2. Check the box corresponding to LAG 2 until it turns orange, and click Apply to save the configuration.

As per your switch's configuration, VLAN 1 is the Management VLAN of your switch. Please confirm whether VLAN 1 is also the Management VLAN of your AP. If so, it's typically best to keep the PVID as the default (PVID 1). This ensures that any untagged traffic entering the switch is appropriately assigned to VLAN 1.

Zyxel Nami

• pkarthikkn
    Options

Yes my management vlan is 1. After modifying as your instruction, I'm only able to get connected with management SSID in my AP. The other SSID's are not getting connected. So, i'm still not able to make all my vlan's on the AP.

Here is my setup for your preview

• Zyxel_Nami
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hello @pkarthikkn

Your switch configuration appears to be correct.

Based on your description, it seems that the other SSIDs can't get the IP address from the DHCP Server.

To resolve it, please ensure that all VLANs (10, 20, 30) are configured with DHCP Server on your pfsense router. If all are configured, you should check if the pfsense router's network card supports VLAN frame packets.

Zyxel Nami

• pkarthikkn
    Options

Hi

My pfsense router has configured with DHCP server as follows

I have tried using cisco switch and works well with all SSID, but with zyxel switch, i only get the LAN network SSID working.

Thanks

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,800  Guru Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

Is pfsense setup to have tags on the given subnets? or are they all untaged?

• pkarthikkn
    Options

Hi,

Pfsense has tags for each VLAN. This is my second setup. I’m using this for my lab simulation. If I connect the pfsense router to a Cisco switch, it works. All the vlan ssid is having internet when connected with Cisco switch, but not with GS1200-8. So I'm pretty sure, offense is configured properly and working.

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,800  Guru Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

My guess would the the tags don't like the LAG

If you set port 6 as the uplink with tages to pfsense without a LAG I bet it will work.

• pkarthikkn
    Options

My current setup as follows. Pfsense LAN is connected to port 1 and my AP connected to port 3. I have connected the LAGG ports of Pfsense to port 7&8 in the switch.

What setting to change on port 6 to be the uplink?