GS1200-8 managed switch with Ubiquiti AP

Options

All Replies

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,847  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited December 2023
    Options

same as the LAG so for port 6 untag VLAN1 tag VLAN 10, 20 and 30 then connect to the Pfsense without the LAG setup

do you need VLAN 1 to be untag on LAG2? maybe set to non-member

• pkarthikkn
    Options

OK, will try that and update.

• pkarthikkn
    Options

It is not working as per the configuration. I'm giving up. I have made all the trials and nothing comes up except my management network.

• Zyxel_Nami
    Zyxel_Nami Posts: 518  Zyxel Employee
    Options

Hello @pkarthikkn

We've conducted a local test with the GS1200-8 HPv2, using our firewall and access point to simulate multiple SSID connections across different VLANs. In our test environment, clients were able to connect to all networks successfully.

Regarding the setup, you mentioned:

My 1st port is LAN from pfsense connected to switch. I have set Link aggregation on Port 7 & 8 in the switch and 2 ports on the pfsense router. I have connected both port 7 & 8 to my pfsense for link aggregation

Pfsense LAN is connected to port 1 and my AP connected to port 3. I have connected the LAGG ports of Pfsense to port 7&8 in the switch.

Per your description, it is understood that you are using both connections:

1. One LAN port (pfsense) to the port 1 (switch)
    2. A LAG connection: some ports configured LAGG (pfsense) to the LAG 2 port (port 7&8 of the switch)

⇒ Please help to confirm if the below illustration matches your setup.

Besides, it would be appreciated if you could share the details of your pfsense router's LAGG setup, including the specific ports/interfaces used and whether LACP mode is enabled.

Zyxel Nami

• pkarthikkn
    Options

Hi Nami,

That topology is correct. I have 4 ports in pfsense router with one being WAN, 2nd port is LAN and 3rd and 4th port for LAGG. I have created vlan's using LAGG interface.

On switch 1st port is connected to the LAN of pfsense and 7 & 8 connected to the lagg on pfsense. Port 3 for AP.

I have a cisco switch which is working perfectly fine with the same pfsense router configs.

• pkarthikkn
    pkarthikkn Posts: 13
    10 Comments
    edited December 2023
    Options

Hi,

With the same setup, i'm only able to get management vlan on the AP. Rest of the SSID is available, but not getting connected. Need help pls….

I may return the switch if this is not getting resolved. I like the switch, which is very portable and handy.

Thanks

• pkarthikkn
    10 Comments
    Options

Any update please

• Zyxel_Nami
    edited January 3
    Options

Hello @pkarthikkn

We conducted other tests using a pfSense router, GS1200-8 switch, and our Nebula AP that is configured with multiple SSIDs in different VLANs as below screenshot. The client successfully connected to all SSIDs (VLAN 1, VLAN 10, VLAN 20), as shown in this screen record.

Regarding pfSense router, please check whether "LACP" is selected in the LAGG Protocol. Since the GS1200-8 switch does not support LACP mode, we recommend selecting the "Load Balance" instead.

Here is our interface configuration on pfSense for your reference:

During our testing, we observed that the extra LAN connection (from the pfSense router's LAN port to port 1 on the switch) sometimes caused connectivity issues, even in Load Balance mode. This intermittent success and failure connection might be because the LAGG and the LAN connection are in the same broadcast domain.

To better assist you, could you clarify the purpose of using this extra LAN connection alongside the LAGG setup? You may try temporarily unplugging the LAN connection to see if it stabilizes the VLAN connections.

Given the recommendation above, if the issue still exists, please provide us with the configuration files of pfSense and Cisco switch for our further investigation.

Zyxel Nami

• Zyxel_Nami
    edited January 5
    Options

Hello @pkarthikkn

I hope all is well.

If you use LAN for the management VLAN, you can also configure LAG 2 as a non-member of VLAN 1 on your GS1200-8 switch. This can also solve the potential conflict between the LAN and LAG connections as mentioned earlier.

Zyxel Nami

• pkarthikkn
    10 Comments
    Options

I tried my best to get it work. My pfsense is configured the same way as you have mentioned. I changed from LACP to load balance. If i don't connect the 1st port to my LAN on pfsense, there is no internet available. Would give a try again a complete reset.