nas326 adding disk

Options

The menus are too obscure for my capabilities it seems. I need help adding a previously used disk to the server.

The gist of the matter is, I (perhaps stupidly) got a second disk to expand my nas326 and thought to make it the primary one instead of the old (much smaller) disk. So I switched in the new disk, formatted it, put a little stuff on there as a test, put the old one back in…and I can't access the files on the old disk anymore.

Proceeded to switch them back, and after some finagling managed to make the old files appear. The new disk is now in the second slot where I probably should have put it in the first place. But how on earth do I get the server to actually use it? It recognizes it's in the machine but I can't find my test files anywhere, just like I couldn't find my old files when the old disk was the secondary one. Do I need to re-format the new disk somehow? How? Where? I'm completely lost.

Thank you for your time.

Accepted Solution

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,613  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Is this something I should be doing?

No. Not if there is precious data on that volume.

The shares menu can be found in Control Panel⇒Privilege and Sharing⇒Shared Folders

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Options

In your case you've got 2 volumes on 2 disks. If you want to put files on a disk, you'll have to create a share on that volume.

The problem with your 'inaccessible' old disk is caused by the NAS immediately forgetting that the disk ever existed, when you exchanged it by the new one, and so it's shares were no longer visible when you reinserted it. On filesystem level those shares are simply directories, and in the shares menu you can re-enable them. (Actually re-enable is the wrong word. The NAS doesn't know the directories were ever shares, but it offers to promote any directory in the root to a share).

There is no hierarchical difference between the 1st and 2nd slot. The first /volume/ created becomes the primary one. Doesn't matter which slot. And when the volume is no longer available another one is chosen, as soon as it becomes available.

• irre
    irre Posts: 2
    First Comment
    Options

I'm sorry but that doesn't even remotely answer the question. Where is this mysterious shares menu? How do you enable the share?

The closest I can find is under the Volumes option in Storage Manager. If I pick one of the volumes there it gives the options to 'create' or 'delete'. Is this something I should be doing?

• Mijzelf
    Answer ✓
    Options

Is this something I should be doing?

No. Not if there is precious data on that volume.

The shares menu can be found in Control Panel⇒Privilege and Sharing⇒Shared Folders

Consumer Product Help Center