NSA325-V2 Backup Planner

Options
Jason1
Jason1 Posts: 16  Freshman Member
10 Comments

I am hoping someone here can help me.

I want to backup my Synology NAS to my old NSA325-V2. The Zyxel is just sitting gathering dust so it would be great to use it as a backup device.

I found a website that shows me how to do it
Zyxel NSA 325v2 as rsync backup target

https://che24.de/2015/11/25/zyxel-nsa-325v2-as-rsync-backup-target/

I really am not very computer technical but I can follow instructions and the way outlined seems simple enough.

OK so I worked out how to get the mijzelf repository loaded and I have installed the random tools package to get the rsync. So far so good.

It seems the only other thing I need is the original "backup planner" for my Zyxel nas, (which is not in the list in the mizelf repository).

From what it said on the site, I assume that backup planner sets up the configuration for rsync?

Anyway it seems like it will be easy if I can get this backup planner installed. Anyone know how I can get it and how I can install it?

Any help would be very welcome. Many thanks in advance

Jason

Accepted Solution

• Jason1
    10 Comments
    edited February 17 Answer ✓
    Options

Ahhhh. Thank you. I was being very stupid. I was replacing the url in the web_prefix file

OK all sorted and backup is now working on the NSA325-V2 Thank you soooooooo much😁

OK so for idiots like me, this is what to do . . .

How to configure a an NSA325-V2 to act as an rsync target to back up a Synology NAS

1. Install the Mijzelf amazing wonderful repository 😊
      To do this . . .
      Make a txt file and put the following url in it
      http://zyxel.diskstation.eu/Users/Mijzelf/zypkg-repo/
      save it as "web_prefix" and make sure there is no file extention (no.txt)
      go to Sharing - Shares
      Select the the admin Share and click on the Share Browser icon at the top
      click on the zy-pkgs folder icon to go into that folder
      Click on the Upload icon and upload the web_prefix file you just made
      Click close button at the bottom
      Go to Firmware/Packages and click on the Package tab
      Click on the Retrieve List from internet icon
      The MetaRepositary package should appear
      Click on the line and click the Install/Upgrade icon to install it
      When it is installed the status should say "Enabled"
      Click on the Retrieve List from internet icon again
      You should now see a list of packages
    2. Install Dropbear from the list of packages that appeared
    3. Install BackupPlanner
      To do this . . .
      Find the MetaRepository Package in the list
      Click on the Http:// link you can see on the end of that line
      find this line ftp://ftp2.zyxel.com/+
      replace it with this line http://zyxel.diskstation.eu/Users/Mijzelf/zypkg-repo/fw4_stock_packages/
      Click the Apply button
      Go back to the packages list
      Click on the Retrieve List from internet icon
      Select the BackupPlanner package
      Click on Install/Upgrade to install it
    4. That's it. All done. (I had to reboot the NSA325-V2 before the Synology NAS could connect)
    5. If it works, celebrate with the drink of your choice :)

Some notes on the Synology side. I used Synology's Hyper Backup. For some reason I had to choose the "single version" option. I couldn't get it to work using the "multiple versions" option, I will look into that some day. I selected rsync-compatible server, entered the IP and login credentials, Transfer encryption off, and then the storage volume of the Zyxel should appear in the dropdown for "Backup Module"

Once again thank you Mijzelf.

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,610  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

From what it said on the site, I assume that backup planner sets up the configuration for rsync?

BackupPlaner is rsync. At least it installs a binary called 'zysync', which is an adapted version of rsync. I know it can't backup to an rsync target, but according to your website it can be used as rsync target.

Getting it is a bit complex, at the moment. ZyXEL has shut down their package server for the NSA series. I have a backup in http://metarepo.tk/which can be added as MetaRepository repo, but metarepo.tk has been down, the last days. At least the dns doesn't work. Don't know when it will be back. I'm not maintaining that server. @shv does.

• Jason1
    10 Comments
    Options

Thanks for your reply and clarification.

I also have an old NSA310 that I haven't used for many years. I booted it up today and I have discovered that it does actually have backup planner already on it. Long shot question . . . is it compatible with/is there any easy(ish) way of getting that running on the NSA325-V2?

the 310 only has a single drive slot but I will have a play with it to see if I can get the backup working. The 325 would be a better option if I can get that working, because it has dual drive slots for raid configuration.

Thanks again,

Jason

• Jason1
    10 Comments
    edited February 17
    Options

Quick update,

I am not getting very far with the NSA310. I can't seem to activate ssh.

I used the
    http://MYIP/rMYNUMBER,/adv,/cgi-bin/remote_help-cgi?type=backdoor
    link and got the white page, but when I try to log in using PuTTY I am still getting connection refused.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jason

• Mijzelf
    Options

The 310 doesn't have an ssh package. I have one in my repository, dropbear.

The 'telnet backdoor' is telnet, not ssh. PuTTY can talk telnet, but you have to specify that.

• Jason1
    10 Comments
    Options

Fantastic. Thank you so much for the info!!

I have installed dropbear and I have now successfully made a backup from my Synology DS118 to my Zyxel NSA310. I also successfully made a restore. So that is really great :)

All I need to do now is work out how to get the NSA325-V2 configured as a rsync so I can use that one instead :)

• Mijzelf
    Options

Wait. Did you install dropbear after my previous post? So MetaRepository works for you? Which url are you using for the repo?

• Jason1
    10 Comments
    Options

Hi yes I installed after your suggestion. This was the url in the web_prefix file
    http://zyxel.diskstation.eu/Users/Mijzelf/zypkg-repo/

• Jason1
    10 Comments
    Options

• Mijzelf
    Options

Ah right. zyxel.diskstation.eu is still up. In that case you can in your repo list on the 325 exchange the stock list (ftp://ftp2.zyxel.com/+) by http://zyxel.diskstation.eu/Users/Mijzelf/zypkg-repo/fw4_stock_packages/ to have access to the Backup Planner package.

• Mijzelf
    Options

BTW, I don't think dropbear has anything to do with the capability of the 310 to be rsync target.

Consumer Product Help Center