NSA325 v1 lost web-interface

Hello all,

My device was working like a charm, so I haven't had a reason to log in to the web interface for a very long time. A couple of days ago I logged in, just to check what was going on, and I was surprised to see that the play zone screen was showing only administration and file manager options/icons. I decided to reboot the device, just to see if that would resolve the problem. After the reboot, the web interface is unreachable. The device boots up normally and my Windows 11 machines can read/write files on the mapped folders. I've tried the reset button, hoping that this will restore the default configuration and solve the problem, but with no result. The Starter Utility finds the device and gives me access to the folders. Other than that, I can't do anything. I am not able to make any configuration.
Is there a documentation (or community-made guide, or forum thread, or whatever) that can help me unbrick the device? I prefer to keep the stock OS, but I am OK if that is not possible or it is easier to install Debian/Arch.

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,741  Guru Member
    Community MVP 2500 Comments Sixth Anniversary 250 Answers

After the reboot, the web interface is unreachable.

Define unreachable. Doesn't the hostname resolve, is the port closed, do you get a 404 or 403, or does it time out?

my Windows 11 machines can read/write files on the mapped folders.

Did you change W11 or did you change the NAS? W11 by default doesn't use SMB1, and the NAS doesn't provide something else. Or are you using FTP?

I am OK if that is not possible or it is easier to install Debian/Arch.

For Arch you are too late. It dropped support for Armv5 a few years ago. Debian is still an option, and also OpenWrt supports the 325.

Anyway, do you have shell access to the NAS? That should be the case if you ever installed the sshd package, but that could be disabled by your factory reset.

• metodi
    metodi Posts: 4
    First Comment
    edited February 27
    1. By unreachable I mean that the connection timed out.
    2. I have SMB1 enabled on Windows 11. I did it on Win10 a couple of years back, and when updated the OS, these settings were transferred. The NAS shares are mapped as network drives and I can access them from all my devices - Win11 PC & laptop / Ubuntu laptop / Android TVs.

Last night I took out the drives and booted the NAS. It took some time to boot up, but when it did, I was able to connect the web interface. As my data was safe outside of the device, I decided to do some experiments. I was activating and deactivating different services (as there are so many of them… :D ) and it appears that when activated, the Web Publishing service breaks the web interface for some reason?! The reset button does not deactivate that service (I suppose), but when there are no drives in the NAS, it is forced to deactivate. After I make that conclusion, I put the hard drives back and just leave Web Publishing deactivated. So far everything seems fine. I do not know when and why I activated the Web Publishing service in the first place, as I have never used it?!

Consumer Product Help Center