Where can i see the real "Channel Width" used by a connected client

Options
Chris888
Chris888 Posts: 24  Freshman Member
10 Comments
edited March 29 in Nebula

Hi, i´m playing aroung with wifi 7. Based on that i use a NWA130BE with Nebula-Cloud-Management. Works fine.

But i´m not able to see the channel width every client is using.

Any ideas are welcome!

Thanky a lot

Christian

Accepted Solution

All Replies

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 568  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hi @Chris888

The channel width doesn’t appear on the clients list as it is more related to the AP radio setting.

The channel width is configurable for the AP radio. You may select the wireless channel bandwidth you want the AP to use at Nebula CC > Site-wide > Configure > Access points > Radio settings. To check which channel width on each band is being utilized by the AP, you may scroll to the bottom of the radio setting interface:

Kay

• Chris888
    10 Comments
    Options

Hi Kay,

thanks a lot. I thought every client connect with his own channel width?

The settings on the AP are only max…?!?

I´am wrong?

• Zyxel_Kay
    Options

Hi @Chris888

The actual channel width in each transmission changes dynamically due to the wireless network environment. Therefore, in our AP radio settings, we choose to show the max channel width setting on AP radio.

Kay

• Chris888
    10 Comments
    edited March 23
    Options

Thanks! A lot of things change dynamically. From my perspective it is usefull to show it - as all the other values. Maybe an improvement in the next update?

• Zyxel_Kay
    Options

Hi @Chris888

I believe achieving your requirement may pose some challenges. For the WiFi 6 standard and below, the actual channel width changes dynamically with each transmission due to the wireless network environment, rather than with each client/connection.

However, with the WiFi 7 standard, the actual channel width might remain unchanged. WiFi 7 incorporates a new technology called Preamble Puncturing. Its function is such that when the Access Point (AP) detects that certain channels are busy, it can skip these occupied channels without excessively reducing the channel width used.

To illustrate, consider the image: if today the AP operates on a bandwidth of 80MHz with the main channel set to 36. Previously, if channel 44 was deemed busy, the adjacent 40MHz band couldn't be utilized. However, in WiFi 7, channel 44 can simply be skipped, allowing for transmission using 36/40/48.

In another scenario, if channel 40 is detected as busy, traditionally the AP would reduce the channel width to 20MHz, significantly impacting transmission performance. But with this new technology, the AP can bypass channel 40, transmitting using 36/44/48 without such degradation.

Kay

• Chris888
    10 Comments
    Options

Understand, but actual there is no way to see on which bandwidth a client would like to connect, call it the "maximum". I think it is important to see this…

• Zyxel_Kay
    Options

Hi @Chris888

To be honest, achieving this feature is currently not technically possible. Could you please let me know why you're insistent on having the feature to display the channel width that every client is using?

Kay

• Chris888
    10 Comments
    Options

Hi Kay, understand. From my perspective it is usefull/neccessary to find any client having problems looking on compability etc.

Maybe i´m wrong, but my last accesspoint show this details…

• Zyxel_Kay
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Chris888

Regarding your request about the feature of displaying the channel width that every client is using, I would like to suggest raising it as an idea:

To monitor and optimize the wireless performance, you can utilize the Wireless Health feature on our Nebula CC. For more detailed information about how the wireless health function works, please refer to this article:

Kay

• Chris888
    10 Comments
    Options

Kay, thanks a lot!

Nebula Tips & Tricks