zyxel 8-port 2.5g multi-gigabit unmanaged switch

Options

All Replies

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,850  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited May 7
    Options

You take cable that goes to switch port 1 put a coupler on it unplug port 2 on the switch plug that to the coupler.

• Zyxel_Nami
    Zyxel_Nami Posts: 518  Zyxel Employee
    edited May 8
    Options

Hi @Lefty_Insider

Let's clarify your setup and objectives:

1. Router as NAT and DHCP Server: You want your router to act as a NAT and DHCP server while your ISP modem functions as a bridge.
    2. 2.5G Internal Connections: You aim for local devices to connect at 2.5G within your internal network.
    3. 1G Internet Speed: Your ISP provides a maximum online speed of 1G.

Issue with Current Setup:

The LAN and WAN traffic from your Netgear router are being mixed on an unmanaged switch, which can lead to DHCP conflicts and inefficient handling. This is likely the reason why your router is not obtaining the IP correctly.

Two options to solve it:

1. Change Topology to modem → router → unmanaged switch as the illustration below. This setup avoids WAN and LAN traffic mixing and allows proper management of IPs.
      1. In case your modem and router are far from each other, you may consider adding the coupler between them as suggested by PeterUK. The setup would then be as follows:
    2. Upgrade to Managed Switch: If you prefer maintaining the current order (modem → switch → router), a managed switch is necessary to set up VLANs for segregating WAN and LAN traffic.

Importantly, whatever solution you choose, your local devices will only achieve 2.5G speeds under the switch. When traffic reaches the router's 1G LAN port, it will be limited to 1G regardless of the WAN port's 2.5G capability.

Zyxel Nami

• Lefty_Insider
    Lefty_Insider Posts: 27  Freshman Member
    10 Comments Friend Collector
    Options

That would be the same a plugging the modem directly to the router and eliminating the switch all together. See attached.

• Lefty_Insider
    Options

"2.5G Internal Connections: You aim for local devices to connect at 2.5G within your internal network."

This setup does not fully satisfy this requirement. So if I upgrade my ISP connection to 2 Gbps, I will be only able to achieve 1 Gbps from the LAN port of the router with your proposed setup.

The reality is that this works fine as it is now, unless I reboot the router. Rather than spend $600 on a switch, I may just wait for a router with 2.5 Gbps LAN ports to become available.

I think we have sufficiently beat this horse to death now, so thanks for your assistance.

lefty

• FlamencoAssassin
    FlamencoAssassin Posts: 15  Freshman Member
    Options

Both the XGS1210-12 and XGS1250-12 will give you a minimum of two 2.5G capable ports plus VLAN support. Both of these should be considerably cheaper than $600 and have been available long enough to be even more reasonably priced in the used market.

The remaining RJ45 ports can service any 1G capable devices you have.

The XGS1250-12 has three 2.5G capable ports, the third could connect your existing 2.5G switch in order to connect the rest of your LAN.

But while your ISP is only supplying 1G, I'd recommend you stick with…. "Modem —> Router —> Switch" to avoid the reboot issue. Meanwhile you can save up for either a 2.5G managed switch or router with two or more 2.5G ports.

No doubt there are other brands that may fit your needs and budget but I thought best to stick with Xyxel examples here!

• PeterUK
    edited May 8
    Options

I don't think you fully get the problem your in you are still limited to 1Gb with your setup as you have done it.

you need a 2.5Gb router for WAN and LAN

• Lefty_Insider
    Options

2.5G from the WAN modem to the 2.5G switch. 2.5G from the switch to the 2.5G router WAN port. 2.5G from the switch to another 2.5G switch, to 2.5G clients. Don't see what you are talking about and neither does my computer. See attached

• PeterUK
    Options

Link speed will be 2.5Gb even if you connect modem to router WAN because you go from client to 2.5Gb switch to 1Gb LAN on router to WAN 2.5Gb to modem.

Just because you have the modem to switch will not mean you can go faster then 1Gb because client to 2.5Gb switch WILL go from switch to LAN 1Gb LAN on router then WAN 2.5Gb to modem

• Lefty_Insider
    Options

Don't want, have space for, or need 12 ports, but yes $200-$350 new.

Or I could just skip this whole 2.5G stopgap half measure and go straight to 10G. :-)

https://www.newegg.com/asus-gt-axe16000-wi-fi-6e-wi-fi-6-backwards-compatible-with-802-11a-b-g-n-ac-wi-fi/p/N82E16833320526 The 10G ports are WAN or LAN. i can always buy 10G NIC's.

TDS is advertising 8Gbps symmetrical near me, but not yet here.

• Lefty_Insider
    Options

Except that the only computer connected to the 1G router LAN port is the local machine and yes, and that one has a 1G nic.