First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

have your ISP give you 2Gb speed and you will see your limited to 1Gb

• Zyxel_Nami
    Zyxel_Nami Posts: 518  Zyxel Employee
    Options

Hi @Lefty_Insider

All your devices, not just the computer connected to the 1G LAN port of the router, are limited to a 1G connection. When these end devices need to access the internet, their traffic first goes to their default gateway, which is the 1G LAN port of the Netgear router, not to the modem.

Imagine your home network like a system of roads. All your devices (cars) need to go through a checkpoint (router's 1G LAN port) before they can reach the highway (internet). The checkpoint is only one lane wide (1G speed), so no matter how fast the cars can go or how wide the highway is (2.5G on the WAN port), they must slow down to pass through the checkpoint.

Regarding the screenshot you shared, it indicates the link speed between your PC's network adapter and the connected device, not the actual speed your PC achieves when the traffic goes to the modem.

Zyxel Nami

• Lefty_Insider
    Lefty_Insider Posts: 27  Freshman Member
    10 Comments Friend Collector
    Options

Seems that you are both right, but would need too setup Performance Test on a machine on the other side of the modem to verify.

• Lefty_Insider
    Options

Seems like I can't get anything close to 2.5 Gbps through these switches anyway.

• Zyxel_Nami
    Options

Hi @Lefty_Insider

Which device is 172.16.0.8?

Is it the speed test between local devices connected under your unmanaged switches and a local machine that's directly connected to another 1G LAN port of your router?

Zyxel Nami

• Lefty_Insider
    Options

That device is a Win10 Surface tablet with a USB C to 2.5 Ethernet adapter, that I can move around from place to place. Testing was switch to switch, no router involved. Further testing of additional machines revealed the better results attached.

• Zyxel_Nami
    edited May 16
    Options

Hi @Lefty_Insider

The link speed between devices can be influenced by various factors such as network adapter quality, device performance, and CPU load. Please try testing the connection between only two end devices without a switch, i.e., PC A ←→ PC B, to see if they can achieve 2.5G speeds.

Regarding the router not getting the IP, has this issue been resolved?

Zyxel Nami

• Lefty_Insider
    Options

Direct connection between two PC's is not a real world scenario for me, so I don't care.

No, the issue has not yet been resolved. I still believe that your switch is the problem. My router can get a WAN IP from the modem, unless your switch, and only your switch, is in between.

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,850  Guru Member
    Options

Ok I suggest you get another unmanaged switch but other make I'm sure you will run into the same problem